Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone made their own Demister mirror?

(9 Posts)
SunnyUpNorth Thu 16-Feb-17 16:25:51

We are doing up our bathroom and DH wants a demister mirror. Most of the ones you can buy are quite contemporary and don't really go with the look I'm going for.

I've seen that you can buy demister pads that can be stuck on the back of the mirror glass. Just wondering if anyone has tried these and how easy they are to use/install etc.

johnd2 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:22:01

Me too, I like the idea too and was looking at the screwfix one yesterday. I think the main difficultly in installation would be finding an electrician happy to do a small job!
If you want to do it yourself just make sure it's a SELV one from a supply outside the bathroom, might work out cheaper then an electrician for the 230v one. But I can only find the SELV ones online.

johnd2 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:22:59

Ps we have the basic IKEA plain rectangular mirror, but I think as long as there's a gap behind the glass it's fine. The IKEA ones come with extra spacers if you need to put wiring for lights etc behind.

ladypie21 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:41:29

We had one put on a plain framed mirror. The electrician that did the wiring was also fitting a plug socket and new lights. I had to take the chipboard backing off the mirror for him as he didn't want to damage it and he then fitted the pad to the back of the glass and mounted the mirror.

Hullabaloo31 Fri 17-Feb-17 09:32:30

We had one, H loved it and was gutted to lose it when we moved as he shaves after a hot shower!
Just bought the £20 pad and fitted it behind the mirror, and wired it in. Ours was connected to the lights so it was on when the lights were on.

Kiroro Fri 17-Feb-17 09:42:04

I haven't made my own but I just got a new mirror with demister pad and it is GREAT! Can do eyebrows and stuff after a shower now.

SunnyUpNorth Mon 27-Feb-17 17:53:24

Posted this and forgot to check back as thought no one would reply!
Bathroom fitter is doing the electrics too so he would be able to do it, I wouldn't need to get a separate electrician.

Johnd2 - you've lost me on SELV! What does that mean?

Thanks all.

johnd2 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:38:43

Selv basically means not dangerous like mains voltage. But you need an extra bit to convert the mains to power that.

bouncydog Wed 01-Mar-17 06:32:48

We put these in about 12 years ago and they're still fantastic. We have twin basins so got a large 6' X 4' mirror glass from the local glass suppliers. Electrician wired the mirrors into the over basin lighting, we stuck them on the glass and husband screwed the mirror onto the wall through the pre drilled hols and put chrome caps over the screw heads to finish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now