Talk

Advanced search

What does it cost to move house? Trying to work out finances!

(17 Posts)
Oh2beatsea Thu 16-Feb-17 15:29:59

We are in the very very early stages of looking to buy a house that is on the market for £205 000. I'm trying to work out approx. moving costs like solicitors fees, estate agents fees, searches and stamp duty etc. Can anyone give me a rough idea please? Also do any of these need paying upfront, prior to the move?
Many thanks.

Love51 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:38:39

Are you selling as well?
I paid a bit to the agent up front but that was 100s not 1000s, and our choice. Everything else is coming out of the sale of my property. Fees come to under 6k, but that's buying and selling.

Oh2beatsea Thu 16-Feb-17 15:40:02

Sorry - yes we will be selling a house too.

Notanotherpawpatrol Thu 16-Feb-17 15:54:09

We've budgeted jist under £10,000 for solicitors, estate agent fees, removal company (just moving boxes, not packing) packaging like boxes, bubble wrap etc, extra searches or insurance that may need to be done and we have a contingency pot too for breakages, and unexpected fees that may arise (such as if anyone pulls out)
In all honesty, were not expecting much left over from the £10,000.

ShortLass Thu 16-Feb-17 15:55:01

Try this:

www.moneysupermarket.com/hubs/cost-of-moving-calculator/

Does stamp duty, solicitors, removals etc. All in one handy bundle.

Notanotherpawpatrol Thu 16-Feb-17 15:56:07

(that includes stamp duty and mortgage fees too)
Solicitors need some fees paying upfront like searches and the mortgage need fees paying up front, but most estate agents and the solicitors balance is paid off out of the sale.

onemouseplace Thu 16-Feb-17 15:57:14

Rightmove had a cost of moving calculator which is useful - a bit rough and ready, but will give you an idea.

TheWanderingUterus Thu 16-Feb-17 17:04:42

We have had to pay for mortgage survey/valuation - the cheapest and most basic was £364, also £300 for searches up front. We have also had to pay a mortgage arrangement fee to our mortgage company to get the product we want (£1500), plus an early repayment charge of approx £5000 to get out of our current deal. If you don't have any certificates for windows, boiler, any electrical work or planning permission, building regs etc you may need to pay for replacement certificates or indemnity insurance. We were quoted about £30 a certificate and there were 6 outstanding on our property, thankfully we found them! You might need to pay for a boiler service as well, we were asked to prove it was serviced in the last year.

Stamp duty, solicitors and estate agents fees will all come out of profit of our sale, but come to about 11K in stamp duty and 3k in solicitors and 3k in estate agents fees (worth every penny, our solicitors in particular are very good)

A 10% deposit is required at exchange. Our buyers deposit will cover most of ours, but we may have to put in an extra £9.5k to cover the difference as the house we are buying is more expensive so a larger deposit required.

Removal costs - we have been quoted between £500 and £5000 to move the contents of a packed three bedroom house less than a mile down the road.

TheWanderingUterus Thu 16-Feb-17 17:07:25

Oh and if you are taking your oven or other gas appliances with you, you should factor in the cost of a corgi registered gas person to remove it and cap the supply.

Toottootcar Thu 16-Feb-17 17:23:08

£10000. Needed to pay £1000 to estate agents up front, and removers were upfront too (£800) otherwise everything came after completion. Similar priced house to yours. Stamp duty was just over a grand. Our solicitor gave us a price including all of that apart from movers, at the estimate stage.

SharonStrzelecki Thu 16-Feb-17 17:25:04

We've been as to pay £300 upfront to the solicitors for searches. House valuation is free, mortgage arrangement fee is added into the mortgage. We do have to pay nearly £6k to get out of our current mortgage (weep) but it's worth it in the long run. Solicitors will be about £2k, estate agents £3k, stamp duty about £4500 I think. All those are to pay on completion. Not had removals quotes yet so will watch others with interest!

SharonStrzelecki Thu 16-Feb-17 17:26:02

That should start 'we have had to pay...'

May09Bump Thu 16-Feb-17 20:45:13

Also mail redirection - cost depends on number of surnames / people at property.

Upfront utility payments - if you change your internet / TV provider they may charge connection charges.

Oh2beatsea Thu 16-Feb-17 21:09:18

Thanks everyone- that's really useful. I had most of them on the list but didn't want too many surprises!

Millimat Thu 16-Feb-17 21:10:55

ours has come to just under £10000. I used the calculator linked to on here and it said £11500. Moving costs are only £450 not £1100 as calculated.
We've had very little to pay upfront. Small deposit on the removals company, but solicitors fees include estate agents, stamp duty etc and only needed paying on exchange last week.

LarrytheCucumber Fri 17-Feb-17 07:09:32

We had assumed £10,000 because that is the figure I had heard on reports about moving g house. However the Money Supermarket link suggests more like £12,000 and we are buying and selling in the £225,000 to £250,0000 bracket.

Millimat Fri 17-Feb-17 07:51:57

We sols in that bracket and have bought for 50 more. Removals seems to vary on the part of the country as do solicitors.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: