Advanced search

FTB and clueless re gas + electric...

(10 Posts)
IHeartHoumous Thu 16-Feb-17 12:41:24

Hi all,

Completed yesterday - probate sale inherited by the deceased brother who lives other end of the country and had never been inside the property, so information on it is sparse.

Estate agent took meter reading yesterday and sent them to us, he also informed us who the supplier was (via the vendor). Do I contact the supplier and ask to be put on the cheapest tariff? Or should I research good deals today, call the best deal supplier (if its different) and ask them to be our supplier instead?

The gas box is damaged and can't be opened, I presume I call current supplier to notify them of this asap? Looks like it needs a new front.

Thank you.

VeritysWatchTower Thu 16-Feb-17 13:24:04

Yes the meter is owned by the company that covers that area geographically but you can have your gas and electric supplied by anyone you choose.

Contact the gas company (British Gas?) and tell them about the damaged box. Realistically they should still read the meter a few times a year so it should have been reported but these things tend to slip by.

I would register with the current supplier (probate people should know this) and give them the meter readings provided.

Then go onto USwitch and choose a supplier. If you know what your average consumption is then you can feed that in and it will show you the best deals. And they can do everything for you. You just provide the information and meter readings when asked and over you go. Simple.

wowfudge Thu 16-Feb-17 17:16:06

Don't sign up to a contract with the current supplier(s) unless there is no penalty for moving before the end of the term. Most are pretty good at just transferring names on the billing. Once you are settled in and have an idea of your consumption you can find a better deal.

JoJoSM2 Thu 16-Feb-17 17:42:17

What are you going to to with the property? If you're going to sell or rent it out then don't sign up for a contract.

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 16-Feb-17 17:44:19

The gas company won't care about the damaged box it is not their property only the meter inside. Ask to go on the cheapest tariff with who supplies at the moment while you are looking around as it can take 4 to 8 weeks to change supplier.

specialsubject Thu 16-Feb-17 17:45:27

contact current suppliers and take over accounts. Then either switch or not according to your plans.

you may find yourself in an argument regarding the meter box - and if it can't be opened, how can there be a reading?

PigletJohn Thu 16-Feb-17 18:03:21

show us a photo of the box please. I don't see how it can't open.

You can get replacement doors and catches at modest price. The network owner may make a charge.

VeritysWatchTower Thu 16-Feb-17 20:29:15

The gas company won't care about the damaged box it is not their property

The box should be owned by the gas company, it protects the meter from the elements. I used to work for a utility company and we replaced them when they were damaged (electricity ones) I also used to mail out lots of meter keys to open the meter boxes.

If it wasn't damaged by you then they should repair it free of charge. In fact considering the areas we covered where meter boxes were damaged, we didn't charge as we would never see the money.

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 16-Feb-17 20:47:23

I work for a gas and electric supplier we don't maintain the boxes and we don't mail out keys we tell people to buy them from the hardware store.

PigletJohn Fri 17-Feb-17 00:05:10

The Utilities industry changes frequently. Meters are not owned by your energy supplier, but by whoever owns the network.
Your supplier may tell you it's nothing to do with them

Some gas networks are still owned by National Grid, but many have been sold off to companies such as Scotia Gas. Your gas and electricity bills should show, at the bottom, the meter point number and the company that owns it. There are maps available but they may be inaccurate or out of date.

You can try your local distribution network company. For example

Sometimes you can get a new door cheaper by going to a company that sells them, and fitting it yourself. Some advertise on ebay.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: