Talk

Advanced search

Double ovens - built under vs built in

(13 Posts)
YorkshireTea86 Thu 16-Feb-17 11:49:13

Planning the kitchen and had originally planned for a built under double oven, however now started looking at them and the main oven capacity seems to be between 10 and 20 ltrs less on a built under. Will I massively notice this? We have freestanding cooker at the minute which is similar capacity to the built in eye level ones and we do cook a roast in it pretty much every week.
To get a built in one I'd have to sacrifice the larder with pull out drawers or breakfast bar.

OdinsLoveChild Thu 16-Feb-17 11:53:49

Ive just replaced my built in oven with a newer model and its noticeably smaller at just 10ltrs difference. I can no longer put 2 roasting trays side by side because its just too narrow.

Some do really spacious built in ovens. Just have a bit of a hunt around. My last one was a smeg at 58ltrs. My new one is indecit at just 48 litres. The outside is still the same measurement so they fit into the same hole.

TranquilityofSolitude Thu 16-Feb-17 11:58:23

I have had both. The biggest problem with the built-under oven was that the controls for both ovens were on a panel next to the top oven, which made that section very small, and also meant that you couldn't swap the shelves over if you needed more at the bottom, for example.

Now I have a Samsung double oven which is only the size of a single and has a removable shelf so that you can use only the top or bottom half of the space, or all of it. I find that works better for me, but I only really do anything like a roast at Christmas.

NotMeNoNo Thu 16-Feb-17 12:01:12

This is why I have a free standing cooker.

YorkshireTea86 Thu 16-Feb-17 12:03:56

Definitely don't want freestanding again because of all the bits that get dropped down the side (I'm a very messy cooker blush) plus I want a 5 ring hob.

NotMeNoNo Thu 16-Feb-17 13:51:41

It is a bit of a compromise. Ours is very closely fitted but crumbs do get in the gap. What about two side by side ovens?.

MiaowTheCat Thu 16-Feb-17 14:00:24

If you look carefully around you should be able to find a double built in that doesn't lose the main oven capacity. Ours has a bigger main oven capacity than my mum's single oven (it's a hotpoint I think) - we spent ages going through the specs of all of them online and in various stores to get the biggest though because some of them do cut it right down to ridiculous levels.

Only gripe I have with mine is the eternal "stop being cheap arses with the number of shelves" one.

YorkshireTea86 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:09:14

I've seen a smeg that has 61 Ltd main oven but lots of people say smeg appliances are bad, plus it's out of budget really and I've already gone over on the hob I want!
I suppose we could do two singles but trying to get as much storage as we can as we are sadly lacking at the minute. Would prefer losing one bottom cupboard to the larder though.

YorkshireTea86 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:10:11

Miaow I keep seeing reviews complaining of not enough shelves so keep checking how many they have too.

MiaowTheCat Thu 16-Feb-17 16:00:23

ao.com/product/dh93ck-hotpoint-ultima-electric-double-oven-black-29941-48.aspx That's the one we have - have had it in for just over a year now and I'm still really pleased with it (has a larger main oven than some normal ones)... well as pleased as the sight of an oven ever actually makes me unless it contains cake.

NotMeNoNo Thu 16-Feb-17 18:35:02

You just can't get away from the fact a built under oven has to fit in a 70cm high space, and a freestanding or waist level oven fits an 88cm high space or thereabouts.

minnymoobear Thu 16-Feb-17 20:07:30

Im going through the same dilemma!
Freestanding range cooker - with 5 rings and bigger decent oven.
Built in means a double oven or oven and combi microwave which is more expensive overall one i factornin a 5/6 hob too.

Looking at range cookers

Welcome any advice /tips of anyone has them...

YorkshireTea86 Fri 17-Feb-17 13:51:30

TranquilityofSolitude - just been looking at the Samsung dual cook ovens, they look really good but not sure they would practical if my roast potatoes need whacking up higher than the chicken which is what I really want.
I looked at ranges but put off by the fact that it's still freestanding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now