Talk

Advanced search

water softener showerheads

(4 Posts)
HemiDemiSemiquaver Thu 16-Feb-17 09:47:21

I asked this chat but not many responses so I hope here might be better. Does anyone know anything about water softening showerheads? I visited someone the other day with a whole house water softener, and it seemed much better for my hair, and I've heard that it's much better for skin as well (I have very dry and itchy skin). I've just moved into a flat and seem even itchier here. I can't get a whole house water softener, but I could get a showerhead one, if they do anything.

But I've been reading, and I'm not convinced they do all that much. Apparently they just filter out chlorine etc, but don't do anything with the calcium or other minerals, so it's still hard water. And whether that would have any effect on skin/hair, I don't know.

They vary in prices from about £20 to £200, and in whether they are a little filter canister screwed on to the shower head, or a special showerhead itself, or something more. Ideally I don't want to change much yet, so just something that screwed on between the hose and the normal showerhead would be good, but I'm open to any suggestions. The water pressure isn't too high (because there's a flow limiter fitted, though can be removed I think), so needs to be something that wouldn't reduce flow further I guess.

Anyone know if these are any use, and can recommend any specific brands or types?

HemiDemiSemiquaver Fri 17-Feb-17 16:09:07

you all just have lovely hair and skin without softened water, don't you? smile

SpunBodgeSquarepants Fri 17-Feb-17 16:15:01

I got this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0025TYZTG/ref=mpss_a11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487347888&sr=8-1&pi=ACSX2366_SY340_QL65&keywords=shower+water+softener&dpPl=1&dpID=41dmDan50LL&ref=plSrch around a year ago.

It states it can last for up to a year but in reality it was no where near that - more like 5 months, and that's with only me using the shower (am single parent to a 3-year-old who only has baths!)

Moaning over, it really did work. With hard water my hair never gets clean, it feels greasy and lank and heavy straight after a shower. With this it was light and had volume again and I only really needed to wash it every other day!

HemiDemiSemiquaver Fri 17-Feb-17 18:54:51

thank you! Glad to hear that they do seem to work, if not last very long. Some of them have changeable filters. Another seems to have special rocks that need replacement!

My hair seems to feel clean enough, but it was so much curlier when it was washed in softened water (but that was properly softened, not just chlorine filtered).

My skin is normally very dry and itchy, too, and more so in the new flat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now