Talk

Advanced search

Paint - is it worth paying extra?

(10 Posts)
parking2017 Thu 16-Feb-17 08:53:18

Painting 6 rooms including ceilings and all woodwork.
Is it worth spending extra money on farrow and ball / little greene / fired earth paints over dulux / crown / johnstons etc?

wowfudge Thu 16-Feb-17 09:28:24

A quick.search on here will find numerous threads where the coverage/ease of use of F&B is criticised. I believe L&G is the choice of many interior designers and is viewed as superior - it's often used on 60 Minute Makeover because it covers well!

If you are using white for ceilings then I would Dulux Trade emulsion because it is really good and you can tell much more easily where you have painted than with their standard emulsion. My BIL has used Wilko's own brand paint and been impressed with it - much cheaper than the premium brands.

rallytog1 Thu 16-Feb-17 10:14:12

Agree that Dulux Trade is great.

Also the Crown Period paints are excellent. They go on really nicely and look just as good as F&B.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 16-Feb-17 10:17:02

Really rate Valspar paint, very good coverage and it goes on so well.

PurpleDaisies Thu 16-Feb-17 10:17:52

I tried some farrow and ball testers and hated the consistency. It was really thin and took four coats to get it even.

I really rate the valspar premium emulsion you get mixed in B and Q, Dulux (particularly the timeless classics range). My sister has been raving about johnstones paint from b and m bargains.

Fidelia Thu 16-Feb-17 10:41:05

I really didn't like the Valspar premium paint I used. Very patchy. And I'd prepared the walls well.

I tend to use Dulux Endurance, mainly because with dc I need something that goes on easily and is scrubbable.

Lesley1980 Thu 16-Feb-17 11:06:10

I know a few people that don't like F & B paint. We renovated a whole house & Dulux Endurance is worth paying the extra for. I've scrubbed it with magic erasers & it doesn't budge. We have a dark plum Crown paint in our dining room & we could have got away with one coat as it covered so well. All our wood work & ceilings are Johnston as the trades guys preferred that. The nursery is Laura Ashley & I would use their paint again.

The only paint I didn't like was Valspar bathroom which needed 5 coats to stop looking patchy. It was cream going onto cream so should have been fine but just didn't dry right. It also didn't cover previous water marks on the paint so despite 5 coats I can still see condensation runs. The painter thought the new coat of paint was lifting the previous coat.

NotCitrus Thu 16-Feb-17 11:21:59

Dulux Trade is fab. Dulux is good. Painters tell me the only reason to go for Farrow and Ball etc is the shades they offer - if you can find similar elsewhere, do.
Homebase paint is crap. Four coats it took on my bedroom, so no cheaper than Dulux in the end!

MiaowTheCat Thu 16-Feb-17 13:57:58

I've got good old Wilkos downstairs and it's durable enough that I've attacked mucky marks (DH is a fucking pain in the arse for leaning around doorways and off alcoves to talk to me) with bleach spray and the paint's survived unscathed.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 16-Feb-17 14:05:09

Valspar is awful, awful paint. Do a google search and you will see thousands of negative reviews.

F&B is nice for areas with little traffic where the walls won't get marked. The whole "tone changes in different lights" is a bit twee but its good for grown up rooms (we have it in the sitting room). Had it in child's bedroom and wouldn't use again.

Also rate Dulux Endurance, have it (now) in hall / stairs / landing and in children's bedrooms. Have also used Laura Ashley paint in our bedroom and that is lovey too.

I also agree that the premium paint that gets consistently good reviews is Little Greene but we don't have a stockist close by so have never used it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now