Talk

Advanced search

Problems getting big enough Granite slab to fit kitchen (Polished Concrete?)

(5 Posts)
PoppyMoore Wed 15-Feb-17 20:02:41

Having our kitchen fitted next week and just found out that the granite supplier cannot get a big enough slab to fit the kitchen without a join (which we'd prefer not to have). We'd need a length of around 3.8m but the maximum granite length is apparently 3.6m?

We've been googling and it appears that polished concrete may be an option - has anyone else faced this problem and successfully addressed it?

TattiePants Wed 15-Feb-17 20:41:02

We have a long run if silestone in the kitchen and had the same problem. We actually made a feature of it so the surface is made up of 3 parts and the central piece (where the sink/drainer is) is thicker than the piece on either side. It's difficult to explain but I'll post a picture when I get out of the bath! In a previous house we had granite with a join and over time one piece dropped a few mm lower than the other piece.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 16-Feb-17 07:03:44

If you inset a wooden prep board area into part of the island this can help ! As you'd expect to see joins at this point.

321zerobaby Thu 16-Feb-17 08:03:17

I didn't want a join in mine either, but now it's in, I don't even notice it.

Ollycat Thu 16-Feb-17 08:06:27

We have a long run of granite 6m+ and it has two joins - you don't notice them at all. Make sure when they template to decide carefully where the joins will be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now