Talk

Advanced search

Estate agent viewing house before its finished

(8 Posts)
zeezeela Mon 13-Feb-17 18:12:05

So we have been doing up a house for the last 18 months and are about 2 weeks away from finishing it. A local estate agent keeps offering to come up and view our house even though it's still getting finished ( at the final paint stages and finishing bits).

To give a bit of background, we haven't had a home report done yet (we are in Scotland) so don't yet know the value of the house. Also they are selling the house we want to buy and it has been on for some time.

They have said if they have someone interested before we put it up for sale they'll let us know however they want to come see it on Wednesday.

What would you do?

Any advice welcome

bojorojo Mon 13-Feb-17 18:18:52

If you want to buy another house, I would get on with selling. How do you know someone will not buy the other one in the meantime? I cannot see what harm it will do to get a valuation - if that is what the EA is giving you! Or even a shove to get it finished! It is good to know someone is interested but you do not have to under-sell it. Just see what the EA says.

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Feb-17 20:03:22

Agree with bojorojo.

Quodlibet Mon 13-Feb-17 20:05:54

Things like final bits of decorative finish will not affect an estate agent's valuation. They need a value to be working with - don't worry about the final licks of paint, they'll be able to imagine it finished.

zeezeela Mon 13-Feb-17 20:19:26

Hi,

Thank you for the replies and reassurance it will be OK. This is our first time selling so a bit nervous about the whole thing. It's the mess I'm worried about and we haven't had the bathroom floor done yet. The mess is clothing and bedlinen waiting for their respective furniture to arrive. Do you think this will be OK?

SoMuchWaiting Mon 13-Feb-17 22:45:36

I think that it'll be fine, estate agents are great at seeing past the decor/clutter and seeing the house/home.

Just a word of warning, we are selling with the same estate agent who we are trying to buy off and they're taking advantage of knowing the details of our house sale to play games with the one that we're trying to purchase. Because our house is sstc for over asking price they're omitting the truth, giving us the wrong impression etc and when asked directly they're having to own up to it but they haven't actually told any lies if that makes sense. I'm 100% certain that our offer would have been accepted and we'd be in the chain if it weren't for us having the same estate agent. I'd go for an agent in the next town along from where I want to buy from next time, I wondered why people do that but maybe they've had experiences like the one we're currently going through. It our first time selling too.

omnishamblesssssssssssssss Mon 13-Feb-17 22:53:13

Put the clothing and bed linin in your car while the viewings on or just throw a blanket over the lot.

You could stack the bathroom flooring in/outside the bathroom so that it's pretty obvious you're not quite done.

But also ask the agent to explain that you've another two weeks of work to do

EmmaC78 Mon 13-Feb-17 22:57:01

I would let them view now. Final decorative touches are unlikely to affect the value significantly. Value will depend on what the Home Report states anyway and by the time you get that done it sounds like you will be finished. I would get the estate agent round in the meantime so you have a rough idea of price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now