Talk

Advanced search

Which house would you choose?

(18 Posts)
karmi2010 Mon 13-Feb-17 13:36:04

I am a single mum to a 1 years old DD, living with my older parents (who look after the DD while I work FT). We live in a 1970s ex-council end of terrace house which I bought 2 years ago to be close to my now ex-boyfriend. The house is OK but I have never really got to like it, I dislike the exterior, it is narrow and has a small garden. So I really fancy moving, also because the house has increased in value quite a lot now, so I can get something different. I have viewed 4 house this weekend, and I really can't decide between the 3 of them:

House 1: Beautiful large Edwardian house, 10mins walk to the station which is on a direct line to my work, close to village centre, 3 good bedroom and a potential to convert a loft. I absolutely loved that house, it is just what I always wanted. But: it needs some renovation (we can live there but would need to get it done (wallpaper stripped out, replastered, re-painted, re-wired and re-plumbered with a new boiler, plus a new bathroom) at some time within the next couple of years. Plus it will likely have issues with the planning permission as the loft has been done but is not advertised as a room.

House 2: Almost new (circa 2005), good location in terms of proximity to the station, but further out from the park and the village centre. Completely renovated after the tenants (newly painted and new carpet), so no work required. But: weird layout (lounge on the first floor, 2 of the bedrooms are on the small-ish side) and the garden is very small and not particularly nice.

House 3: Almost new (only 2-years old, still under warranty), 4 good sized bedrooms, 2 of them with en-suites, large kitchen-diner opening to a large lounge opening to a reasonably-sized garden (but north-facing). But: the commute would be worse as it is close to another station which is not on a direct line to work, so it will either be a change of trains or a 20mins walk to the different station. Also the house is on sale since July and for some reason no one offered on it. But it has now been significantly reduced in price and is now about 50K less than the other two, which is significant for me.

Really torn now (( Heart says House 1, head is torn between house 2 (better commute) and house 3 (better house for us but worse commute)...

Would really appreciate any opinions! Thanks!

petitdonkey Mon 13-Feb-17 13:38:28

Go with your heart!! You won't be happy in the other two and will always be yearning for number 1.

Cosmicglitterpug Mon 13-Feb-17 13:40:35

Def not three.

I'd go for one if you can afford and stomach the work. Being able to live in a beautiful Edwardian house is so lovely and for me would be uplifting. But obviously factor in the cost and the waiting to sort things out.

viktoria Mon 13-Feb-17 13:42:03

I would go with house 1. You might need to renovate/repaint etc for the next few years, but as long as it's liveable that's fine. Just set priorities and do one room at a time.
Main plus for me (apart from the fact it's the house you love most) would be that the location provides the easiest commute.

AndShesGone Mon 13-Feb-17 13:42:50

House 1 definitely

The other two have really bad negatives

PurpleWithRed Mon 13-Feb-17 13:42:54

House 1, without a shadow of a doubt.

Spickle Mon 13-Feb-17 13:44:13

House 1

As you state it is liveable, all those jobs can be done as and when. Sounds like this house would be a long term purchase in any case so you might as well have the house you really want and doing it up will only increase your love for it.

MissJSays Mon 13-Feb-17 13:52:12

House number 1, definitely. Go on OP, show us a pic!

Zebrasinpyjamas Mon 13-Feb-17 13:55:11

House 1 (if you enjoy the idea of doing the work in your spare time and it's liveable when doing the work) or none of them and keep looking!

HmmOkay Mon 13-Feb-17 14:02:18

House 1. The location is great and you loved it.

The other houses were worse locations and you didn't love the houses.

Are your parents moving with you? If so, then I think House 1 would work better for your parents as they get older. Near the village centre for social life, better public transport etc. Also, if your parents do move with you, they could co-ordinate tradesmen and things if they don't work?

karmi2010 Mon 13-Feb-17 14:02:33

Thank a lot! House 1 is definitely my favourite, I am just a bit worried about the heating and maintenance costs... But I assume this is the price one has to pay for living in a beautiful old house...

MissJSays - sorry, I don't want to post a picture in case I out myself) Will post one though later on if I buy the house)))

MagicChicken Mon 13-Feb-17 14:09:24

House 1. Could you stay with your parents while the renovation work is carried out, and more importantly, are you confident that the work is comfortably within budget at some point in the next couple of years?

If so, then do it.

If not then keep looking. Also make it a condition of your offer that the vendors sort out and clear up any issues with retrospective planning for the loft so you don't end up having to pull out due to unresolved problems.

Kiroro Mon 13-Feb-17 16:44:40

How much worse in terms of time is House 3?
Are your parents goingt obe living with you i.e. do you need the 4 beds? If so house 3 does sound like the sensible choice for a single mum. When will you have the time to do all the renovation work?

DeterminedToChange Mon 13-Feb-17 16:54:44

MagicChicken, her parents are living with her now, so she can't go to live with them!

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Feb-17 17:54:50

What about your parents? What's their opinion? I think House 3 sound the most reasonable and it has the benefit of being cheaper. I wouldn't touch House 1 with a barge pole as it requires too much work to reasonably live in it whilst it's done + you'd need 50-100k to sort it out. The refurb would also be stressful and demanding on time so again a poor choice for someone looking after a baby and parents + working.

karmi2010 Mon 13-Feb-17 18:13:51

Thanks again everyone!
Kiroro - the commute will be worse by about 15mins, but given it will be 1 hour anyway, 15mins is a lot((
JoJoSM2 - my parents are the same unfortunately. They absolutely loved House 1 but agree that House 3 is much better from a practical point of view. I am just very concerned that if I choose House 3, I will again find myself in a situation similar to the one I am in now - i.e. I have the house to live in and it is OK, but I still want to move...

Beachedwh4le Tue 14-Feb-17 18:01:45

Slightly off topic, but if you just bought the council house a couple years ago you should check you won't have to pay them back anything. Just so you can factor that into your budget smile

karmi2010 Tue 14-Feb-17 18:26:40

Beachedwh4le - many thanks. I bought it on the open market as an ex-council house already, so ok on this point)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now