Talk

Advanced search

Anyone ever logged a complaint with Estate Agent?

(6 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Mon 13-Feb-17 13:19:21

I have logged an official complaint with the EA who sold my deceased mothers property.

This was investigated by them.

They have written to me with a report attached that lays my complaint point by point and although they have acknowledged my points they have kind of skirted round them, not really addressed them iyswim.

The above and just concludes with (paraphrasing) 'Im sorry you feel you didnt get the service you had hoped for but we didnt do anything wrong as you can see from the points above'.

So, they then went on to say if I wasnt happy with this then I can appeal and the contact details are.....exactly the same as the customer relations team that handled this complaint, so I responded back stating that now that I have complained to you, the agent, and the response I have had is unsatisfactory I will be taking this complaint to the ombudsman.

They have now responded with "Thank you for your email the contents of which are noted.

Although you are free to contact the Property Ombudsman at any point, they will expect to see that our internal complaints procedure has been exhausted and a final response has been issued. With this in mind I will pass this on to our Appeals team immediately, so as not to slow the process down"

Soooo hang on a minute, I have to go back to the same company in the same place and the same office before I can go to the ombudsman?

Seems a bit unnecessary to me tbh.

Also I have looked into the contract and there is no complaints procedure in there.

Has anyone ever done this before? What happened?

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Feb-17 23:24:06

It would make sense to go to the Obundsman and they have basically been politely/sleazily brushing you off. Having said that, I haven't done it myself so I don't know how it actually works.

Camelopardtoes Mon 13-Feb-17 23:31:52

What they're saying is kind of true, you have to exhaust their complaints process, but if their process is to just make the same person look at it again, the ombudsman will not look kindly on this. I work in law and the "contents are noted thing" is pretty standard if there is a hint of a complaint. Insurance companies generally like you to say less rather than more when someone complains

helenwilson Mon 13-Feb-17 23:38:46

We have not yet gone to the Ombudsman but are about to shortly. We did need to finish the internal complaints procedure first which was deliberately ridiculous and involved complaining to six different people. Our estate agent used their own subcontractors to quote for work on our rental property which was three times the cost of a local firm and for which we were very clearly not liable. They told us that if we did not forfeit our £2.5k deposit immediately the landlord would take us to court for the full cost of the claim, being £4.5k. We went to arbirtration and won almost all of our deposit back - the EA would've earned fees on the subcontractor work - they claimed to be "acting on the instruction of the landlord" but couldn't prove it (I'm sure they weren't....) Anyway, I digress, you do have to follow their complaints procedure as the property ombudsman wants to see evidence of this and just one email complaint is not enough - do the appeal but chase it up. Ours were a very large chain of estate agents and I am shocked at how unethical they were and how much work it was just to get our deposit back.....

wowfudge Tue 14-Feb-17 06:58:00

Well at least they are passing your complaint to their appeals team without you having to do it. It's standard with complaints to have exhaust the process before going to an ombudsman.

wowfudge Tue 14-Feb-17 06:58:10

Well at least they are passing your complaint to their appeals team without you having to do it. It's standard with complaints to have exhaust the process before going to an ombudsman.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now