Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New extension, sliding patio doors - what options to cover glass??

(17 Posts)
Wiifitmama Sun 12-Feb-17 19:58:33

The new patio doors will cover the whole back wall (to garden) of the extension which will be our lounge. It is 4 equal panels of glass (each one metre wide plus frame) with the middle two sliding open over the fixed outer two.

My dilemma is what to put on the windows?? I am not a huge fan of curtains (though my mum is a master is making them for us so we could indeed have some made). My worry about curtains is that when pulled open, they will cover some of the glass and block out light. I HATE venetian blinds so they are out. My husband mentioned shutters of some kind but where would they go when open? There is no extra wall at the side of the glass. In our current lounge we have a massive roller blind which we had made. I love it. But it is for patio doors that are only 2.4 metres wide. And it is massive! I don't think we can have one made big enough and two side by side would look silly right??

What on earth do we do??

didireallysaythat Sun 12-Feb-17 20:44:17

Integrated blinds ?

Foldedtshirt Sun 12-Feb-17 20:47:56

Why do you need window dressing? Not a goady question but to help narrow down requirements.

doyouthinkso Sun 12-Feb-17 20:58:45

I have curtains over my wide doors (also bi-parting sliding). When open they dont really cover the glass as they hook back to the thin bit of wall on each side of the aperture. We hardly ever close them tbh.

Could you have 4 blinds for the 4 panels?

Wiifitmama Sun 12-Feb-17 21:06:20

We need something as we live in a built up area of London and are overlooked. So at night while watching tv, i want privacy. Also we are south facing so need to block out the sun sometimes.

Tubbyinthehottub Sun 12-Feb-17 21:37:26

I've got roller blinds over my bifolds. Had to have three separate ones but it looks ok. They are remote control so you don't have cords hanging down in the middle when they're up. There are no cords. Also means I can have just one lowered if I want which can be useful

Wiifitmama Sun 12-Feb-17 21:41:28

Separate blinds sounds a good idea. I googled some pictures and it looks ok. Hadn't thought about the hanging cord. Hmmmm...remote control sounds expensive!

Tubbyinthehottub Sun 12-Feb-17 21:45:20

You might be able to get away with two blinds and have the cords at each end? The remote control thing wasn't too outrageous but obviously more expensive than without.

Wiifitmama Sun 12-Feb-17 21:47:13

I definitely don't want two blinds as then if I have the doors slid open and I want the blinds down on the fixed panels to block the sun out, it will also be over the open doors. I think 4 panels is the best idea - I just need to think about the cords.

didireallysaythat Sun 12-Feb-17 22:03:28

We have integrated magetic ones. Not as expensive as electric ones and no cord.

MaitlandGirl Mon 13-Feb-17 03:46:30

Vertical blinds are really popular over here. We've got them on all our windows and they make a big difference with cutting down the heat in the room.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 13-Feb-17 09:06:57

I would wait until the doors are in and you see the space / how you'll use it and what would look best. We have 4m of bi-folding doors and we don't have anything, nor would I want anything. Not particularly overlooked and don't want anything to detract from the glass / view of the garden. I thought I would when we started, but decided against it once I saw the end result.

So my advice is just to wait - see how you feel when the doors are in, how they look etc. You might change your mind.

Splooter Mon 13-Feb-17 13:12:13

We have 2 large sliding doors with remote controlled blinds. They work together or individually. We aren't overlooked so only needed for sunblock. We can still see through them. Got them from John Lewis - they have lots of different materials.

Kiroro Mon 13-Feb-17 16:51:37

2 or 4 separate blinds. Ikea's are all cordless.

I really really don't like vertical blinds - looks v student house/office space.

Acornantics Mon 13-Feb-17 17:07:30

Check out 'perfect fit ' blinds, from an independent fitter. We've had some for about 10 years and they're a brilliant creation; not traditional blinds, as they fit on a frame in the door/window itself, so no messy cords or fabric.

hangingoutthewashing Mon 13-Feb-17 17:13:39

Integrated blinds , either remote control or magnetic , very contemporary and smart , plus no cleaning of blinds !

museumum Mon 13-Feb-17 17:13:48

The way you're overlooked I imagined be roller blinds might be able to be lowered a bit but not fully and still give you both privacy and a view of your own garden.
If that's the case then def get them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now