Talk

Advanced search

No building regs!

(15 Posts)
Nightmare123 Sun 12-Feb-17 13:24:20

We renovated our house ourselves 6years ago - including new bathroom, patio doors, underfloor heating, amongst other things. We didn't get building regs. We were clearly very stupid and naive to the system. What does it mean if we don't have sign off? We're not planning on selling - yet anyway. But it seems we could get in big trouble?

Ferrisday Sun 12-Feb-17 13:46:12

As far as I know you don't need building regs for any of that stuff.
Any work you've had done the solicitor will ask for certificates, like new windows/doors but if you haven't got them it's not a major problem.
Worst case scenario you could be asked to get done indemnity insurance.

greenfolder Sun 12-Feb-17 17:13:48

Do you need building regs though?

Villagernumber9 Sun 12-Feb-17 17:25:22

You only need building regs if you are extending and or structural work.
I think also that now there is some form of regs for changing the front door but, don't quote me on that.

Madbengalmum Sun 12-Feb-17 17:27:18

Doesnt sound like you need bldg regs anyways

FurbysMakeSexNoises Sun 12-Feb-17 17:28:30

I had to apply for building regs just to change the size of my window! Would be worth having a chat with them - I found them very helpful. I think you can apply retrospectively for regs if needed.

Villagernumber9 Sun 12-Feb-17 17:36:34

Furby. You would have to apply for building regs for widening your window because you was changing the structure of your house.

Nightmare123 Sun 12-Feb-17 17:44:50

Thanks everyone-sorry I wasn't clear. We made the hole for the new patio doors! We got structural calcs for the rsj and its above what we need-but we never consulted building regs sad

Hercules12 Sun 12-Feb-17 17:46:37

I would get them round to give you a certificate.

Fourbyfour Sun 12-Feb-17 20:42:17

Contact your local department and apply for retrospective approval and certificate.

user1484830599 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:38:26

Did you get a FENSA certificate for the patio doors?

user1484830599 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:39:43

I knocked a wall down and put in an RSJ and had to get building regs sign off, and an inspection during the work to make sure it was done properly (2 layers of fireproof plasterboard over the RSJ). I'm sure if you call your council they will help you - this must be quite common.

user1484830599 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:42:04

Its also not true that you don't 'need' building regs. While you may not have to apply directly to the council there are some trades which can self certify the work they do to comply with buildings regs (i.e. FENSA, HETAS etc)

The following from the HETAS website (this may not apply directly to your situation but gives you an idea)

"In England and Wales installation work relating to domestic solid fuel, wood and biomass and the associated systems for heating, controls and hot water are subject to Building Regulations. The Approved Documents F, J, L, G, P are applicable and most work is notifiable to the relevant Local Authority. The information notified to them is required for household insurance and the future sale of properties. Where work is carried out by a HETAS Registered Installer, who is registered for the category of work being done, the installer can self-certificate their work via HETAS rather than the customer applying for a Building Notice from their Local Authority."

Kiroro Mon 13-Feb-17 10:37:33

If you aren't selling, don't worry about it.

If you want to sell, go down the retrospective building regs route (although they will prob want to take off its of plaster to check the steel and stuff).

Lovedaya Tue 14-Feb-17 03:24:05

Hi there, my late husband was a professor and doctor of architecture, we built our 4metre by 5 metre conservatory without permission or building regs..this is the largest size conservatory you can build without permission. This was around 4years ago, the new permission came into force around that time and as far as I know it still stands. We had to take out a window and part of the wall. It was done by a builder in accordance to building rules. Hope this helps...regards Loveday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now