Advanced search

layout change in a council property, planning and costs, London?

(7 Posts)
queenofthebucket Sat 11-Feb-17 17:59:27

Does anyone have experience of doing a serious refurb of a council property?

I live in a lovely flat, have no chance of buying it and have an assured tenancy.

The living room and kitchen make the first floor and are separated by a plasterboard wall. I want to open it up and make it open plan, refit the kitchen/plumbing/move some sockets/ add decent lighting. Also lay reclaimed boards and sound insulation underneath.

I can't figure out if or where the supporting wall is though and am assuming there must be one?
The council website says I have to submit plans and I believe details of the builder / tradesmen who will do any work.

So I really don't have any idea where to start - do I need an architect or a builder first ? Which kind of tradesmen and what are reasonable rates?
Any recommendations or ideas gratefully received, as I dont know if this idea is a complete non starter.

Floggingmolly Sat 11-Feb-17 19:14:38

Will they really allow you to take down walls?

Gowgirl Sat 11-Feb-17 19:18:59

Depends on the council, mine has a loft conversion and knock through lounge diner, most will want to approve any plans and sign off to say they will not refund you for work done!

JoJoSM2 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:21:19

Have you really got no chance of buying? With this scope of work you might spend 20k on this property that isn't even yours...

Floggingmolly Sat 11-Feb-17 19:21:46

Oh, right! I've heard (on here, mainly) of people being told they have to leave the place exactly as they found it when moving out; to the point of ripping up recently replaced carpets/ wooden flooring.

MistressMolecules Sat 11-Feb-17 19:26:27

No advice, just place-marking as I am interested in hearing about others who have done this and any updates you have with regard your situation. We are in council, and at the minute not even in the position to do major refurbs/changes but eventually would like to put a new kitchen in and won't likely be able to afford to buy the house but it will likely be our "forever home" unless circumstances change considerably.

oneplus2is3 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:19:49

Are you sure this is allowed? I lived in council property for years and we didn't so much as change a door without being permission let alone knock down a wall. A friend of mine had to rip out an entire bank of kitchen units and remove a relatively new laminate floor when she swapped for a bigger property.

Please double check with council (not general site but actual social housing dept) before doing this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: