Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with professional knowledge about electrical switches and sockets in open living area kitchen?

(4 Posts)
CelineW Sat 11-Feb-17 15:35:08

My four years old daughter and I moved in a newly built property two years ago. I have concerns about our kitchen area with electrical switches and sockets so close to the cooker top edges, and the sink basin. Our only electrical sockets are at the L corner of our kitchen. To have access to them and the appliances plugged into them we have to lean over our cooker top - risking burns from the hubs and oven - and sink drainer. I have concerns about my daughter and mine safety. See photos attach.
Our landlord is ignoring my concerns. What can I do?

Namechangeinto2017 Sat 11-Feb-17 15:45:18

Perfectly fine to the regulations obviously not ideal in terms of access.

You shouldn't be able to reach the socket from the sink so the advised distance is >1m which is why all the sockets are located on that one end wall.

I don't really see what your landlord could do sorry.

Namechangeinto2017 Sat 11-Feb-17 15:49:21

Also if it's new build it would have been inspected and signed off in accordance with Part P of tge building regs before you moved in.

Villagernumber9 Sat 11-Feb-17 20:44:06

Whilst there is no direct regulation, an IEE publication called Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations, a distance of 300mm between the hob edge and socket outlet. Also, 300mm between the sink drainer and socket outlet.
Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now