Talk

Advanced search

Help me choose bathroom fittings - halfway there but bath and tiles to go...

(6 Posts)
mysteryfairy Sat 11-Feb-17 13:33:10

My house is from 1905 and I'm halfway through buying stuff for the house bathroom. My fitter is due soon and I don't have a bath or any tiles. Bear with me as this is long, but I really need help!

I have duravit 1930 wc with walnut seat and 1930 vanity sink. I'm having a vanity made by a local firm which will be painted and granite topped to set the sink in.
www.duravit.co.uk/products/all_series/1930_series.com-en.html

I have bristan 1901 basin taps and bath shower mixer tap.
www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/bristan-1901-pillar-bath-shower-mixer-chrome-plated-n-bsm-c?campaign=googlebase&gclid=CPqhpfKOiNICFSsW0wode8EEPA

I have this aqualisa shower
www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/aqualisa-aquatique-thermo-exposed-thermostatic-valve-with-8-drencher-head-riser-rail-chrome-500-10-01-581-01

I'll admit tap and shower selection influenced by Piglet John preferences after scouring many threads on here...

I need a built in bath 700 x 1700 which the shower will be over. The room is long and narrow so although it's not a tiny room it's very restricted on footprint for the bath - bath will be walled in on three sides. There isn't a duravit 1930s bath in range. I'd quite like one with a black side to pick up the granite and toilet seat. Do all panels fit all baths?! I guess a squared off one would look better than a rounded one - any suggestions?

I want the room to be black, white and blue. I can't decide on tiles at all.Would I be better doing blue tiles and white walls or vice versa? Will white tiles look too clinical?

I'm drawn to country looking tiles e.g.
britishdesignertiles.com/product/la51591-laura-ashley-artisan-white-wall-75mm-x-300mm/

But would white metro or similar look better with the age of house and fittings. I keep looking at crackle glaze but then cant then use dark grout. Will I regret that?

I've got this radiator which will be on painted not tiled part of wall
www.victorianbathrooms4u.com/product/phoenix-helena-bathroom-radiator?gclid=CPr4_eOSiNICFewy0wod6p0Mxg

Floor will be this black and white tile I think www.harveymaria.com/Floor-Range/Neisha-Crosland/Parquet-Charcoal

wowfudge Sat 11-Feb-17 13:51:26

I would say don't have a black and white floor - it will show every hair, fleck of dust, etc. And the wall tiles need to be a little less rustic looking.

NotYoda Sat 11-Feb-17 16:44:25

I agree about the tiles. I would go for a metro style that's less rustic-looking. Don't need to be bevelled, but I think those ones don't really go (nice colour though).

The only trouble with metro and dark grout is that it's really busy. And your floor is busy so you don't want too much going on at once. I'd consider using a large rectangular tile with a dark grout. Make the floor the feature.

Love the floor - got mine from Harvey Maria too (different design)

NotYoda Sat 11-Feb-17 16:49:37

I bought a more expensive Cleargreen bath from VictorianPlumbing. Ver insulated. Am pleased with it. They have a squared-off design and a rounded one (double-ended)

FurbysMakeSexNoises Sat 11-Feb-17 17:12:39

I've got the same range of taps- the plastic discs look fairly cheap- thought they'd be ceramic- if I was doing it again I'd consider Burlington instead if it's not too late?

Tiles would you consider those ones which look like planks of wood? Maybe a limed white? Lovely textures and you don't need many.

NotYoda Sat 11-Feb-17 17:19:41

A subtle marble-effect tile might look quite fab. Look at Topps tiles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now