Talk

Advanced search

Is my sitting room "old"? (I'm only 29!) PICTURE

(267 Posts)
nc10 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:08:32

NC for this.

Advice please... a friend of mine was over the other day and said my sitting room looked "old lady" confused

I'm only 29! The curtains are crushed velvet which I understand to be very en vouge and grey walls which I thought were fashionable too?!

The furniture is expensive so don't want to get rid of it to fit the room to a tee.

Notanotherpawpatrol Sat 11-Feb-17 11:09:55

I don't think it's old lady, but at the end of the day, if you like it and feel comfortable in it, does it matter?

whereiscaroline Sat 11-Feb-17 11:10:13

I would have said this living room belonged to someone much older than 29. But mostly because it's well put together and looks very classy. It's lovely OP. (I am 28!)

Notanotherpawpatrol Sat 11-Feb-17 11:10:43

(I should say, I'm 29 too)

ArriettyClock1 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:11:36

Honestly? Yes, a bit.

The curtains look rather chintzy and the TV on a stand is like what my parents have.

It would look more modern without the fussy curtains.

I like the floor!

pitterpatterrain Sat 11-Feb-17 11:11:51

Look really nicely put together

My initial thought was "winter curtains" so not sure if you have something more light and floaty for the summer?

scaryteacher Sat 11-Feb-17 11:11:58

It looks fine to me....sounds like sour grapes. It looks classic, and you ring the changes with cushions etc. If it suits the style of the house, and more importantly, you like it, what's the problem. It looks comfortable, which is presumably what it is meant to do and be?

justwanttoweeinpeace Sat 11-Feb-17 11:12:07

Lose the tie backs - that's the only thing that's a bit nineties. Everything else, including the curtains themselves, is lovely.

TinfoilHattie Sat 11-Feb-17 11:12:20

Does it matter? And how rude for someone to say that to you. Personally, your curtains aren't my taste but I don't really like curtains at all. They're not "old lady" though.

Creatureofthenight Sat 11-Feb-17 11:12:38

I also would have thought it belonged to someone older, mainly because of the drapes.

ExcellentWorkThereMary Sat 11-Feb-17 11:13:40

Who cares? If you like it, it's to your taste, does it matter? FWIW it is what DH and I call a "grown ups" Lounge because ours is the complete opposite and looks more like a (much cleaner) student house grin
I think your Lounge is lovely. It's not how I'd have mine, but I'm not you!

JakeBallardswife Sat 11-Feb-17 11:13:50

She's jealous, ignore her. Your house your rules. Looks great!

specialsubject Sat 11-Feb-17 11:13:51

Where else would you put a TV? On a wall is stupid, strains the neck.

Curtains a bit floral for my taste but better than farty floaty things that are no use.

Otherwise lovely!

BaronessBomburst Sat 11-Feb-17 11:13:57

I think it looks very elegant.
The modern furniture is hardly 'old lady'!
Why would you want to change it based on someone else's opinion?

OdinsLoveChild Sat 11-Feb-17 11:14:16

I like it but I'm almost half a decade old. I wouldn't expect someone your age to choose this scheme but it's lovely.
It says confident and sophisticated to me. blush

RJnomore1 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:14:19

It's because of the type of room, with the fireplace and windows. I do think the curtains are a bit older style but that's because I'm too old to be trendy!

I'd put up lovely billowing white voile type curtains for summer.

It's a gorgeous room and as others say so well put together.

LotisBlue Sat 11-Feb-17 11:14:49

It looks good to me, but a lot more grown up than my house when I was in my 20s which was a mish mash of second hand furniture and things I had collected on my travels

Old lady would be a gas fire swirly carpets!

Nospringflower Sat 11-Feb-17 11:15:19

I think it looks lovely and very classy but if I had to guess I wouldn't think it was a 29 year olds taste so can see what person means. Doesnt mean its not nice though and I dont think it looks old fashioned / dated.

FriendofBill Sat 11-Feb-17 11:15:21

Gorgeous room.
I would lose the curtains too as the windows look fabulous.

PickAChew Sat 11-Feb-17 11:15:50

I think it's lovely, but I am old enough to be your mum!

BastardGoDarkly Sat 11-Feb-17 11:15:54

It's lovely. But yeah, id get rid of tie backs and just open more and have curtains straight.

Try it and send another pic!

pinkyredrose Sat 11-Feb-17 11:16:00

I don't think It's old, looks quite classic. It's a lovely room, those windows are beautiful!

SequinsOnEverything Sat 11-Feb-17 11:16:05

As someone else said, I would think the persob who lived there was much older than 29, but only because it is so well put together and I still haven't acheived this at 32.

The only issue I have with it is it looks quite dark, but that might just be the picture.

MrsWooster Sat 11-Feb-17 11:16:58

Is it 'you'? There's a lot of identi-modern around at the moment - see every staged room on rightmove, with their feature wall. If you like it, then tell your friend to fottfsof. Mind you, my living room could easily serve as a set for an Agatha Christie film, so what do I know.

eurochick Sat 11-Feb-17 11:17:09

It's too old for my taste and I'm 41. It's similar in style to my parents place, so yes I would say a bit "old". If you like it that's the main thing! I'm sure loads of people would hate my decor.

Someone else mentioned the tie backs. I think they are a bit 90s. Losing those might make it look more modern.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now