Talk

Advanced search

Stairs carpet

(21 Posts)
MrsGsnow18 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:44:42

Hi
I'm currently make some improvements to our home before baby arrives. One of the plans is to update two of the bedroom floors to a wooden laminate. I would love to change the stairs so they are no longer carpet but i'm not sure if this is a good idea as stairs might be noisier if wooden (we already hear a lot of noise from our neighbours and worry they hear us a lot) also I'm sure it would be pricey.
So I'm now just thinking new carpet for stairs. I used to love the idea of striped carpet but not sure now. We have a lot of turns in our stairs and that might take away from the stripes.
Currently quite a boring neutral colour but it wasn't good quality carpet and hasn't lasted well. I'll attach a picture.
Anyone any stylish recommendations? Or anyone get their stairs successfully converted to wooden?

llangennith Sat 11-Feb-17 10:48:36

Had a new flight of open wooden stairs installed in a small house a few years ago. Looked lovely but we had to be very careful using them and eventually had each tread carpeted. Safer and actually looked a lot nicer.
Stripes only work well on a straight flight.

MrsGsnow18 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:03:55

Thanks. That's what I thought about wooden stairs. I've been searching the Internet now for carpet inspiration. Although plain might not wear as well I think since I stairs turn so much it might be better to avoid anything patterned.
When I google search some houses look so stylish/designer, ours is never going to look/stay looking like that!

JoJoSM2 Sat 11-Feb-17 12:24:42

I like wooden stairs. However, I'd generally reconsider all the ideas of laminate as it's very noisy.

MrsGsnow18 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:23:33

I think it's too big a job to change stairs to wooden as what's under current carpet is not nice wood that could be shown or even painted. I went today to get some samples, nothing seems right though. I want to avoid just a plain block colour.

Kahlua4me Sat 11-Feb-17 20:05:17

We have striped carpet on our stairs. It turns twice and also separates on the second platform, going both ways if that makes sense. So they are more like straight runs with platforms.

Works well and we are pleased with the result. Have you tried googling for images?

MrsGsnow18 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:12:10

I haven't googled for stripes with turns but I'm off to investigate. Interesting that you said yours goes both ways.
I was worried that with the shape of some of my more triangular steps the stripes on the thread might not match with on the stair.
I found a nice one that is almost chevron type pattern but I think it's a bit much.

SoMuchWaiting Sat 11-Feb-17 21:13:58

Today I walked past a new carpet shop in town and I saw some zigzag striped carpet, at first I thought it looked odd but thinking about it I think it'd look really good on stairs that turn.

MrsGsnow18 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:14:23

This is what my stairs would look like with stripes. I'm not sure.

MrsGsnow18 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:22:09

So much I took a sample of a zig zag type one! I loved it! DH wasn't so sure. It was a different colour from this one

Kahlua4me Sat 11-Feb-17 23:03:23

I love that zig zag one.

That what my stairs are like, they go straight up to a landing, turn right and up to another landing and from there either turn left and up to our room or right and up to kids rooms. It's because we built an extension and easiest way to access bedroom!

A striped one would work on your stairs I reckon, with triangular stairs, as long as they match the stripes up as they turn.

MrsGsnow18 Sun 12-Feb-17 11:19:16

Thanks everyone for replying. I do really love the zig zag one. I'll look again and stripes but if i can't find one I like I think it'll be zig zags!

FurbysMakeSexNoises Sun 12-Feb-17 11:24:11

I think stripes and zigzags are off the moment and you may go off them in 4-5yrs. I am looking at similar and think wood is noisy and dusty as well as if you have carpet rods. I haven't come up with a solution but am considering very faint patterns rather than very bold which would dominate.

FurbysMakeSexNoises Sun 12-Feb-17 11:28:07

Gah! "Of the moment"

Autumnchill Sun 12-Feb-17 11:33:13

OP we so nearly got the Crucial Trading Zig Zags but just couldn't stretch to it. It's so different and striking.

Settled on this which John Lewis sell and IIRR is called Baker Street.

Autumnchill Sun 12-Feb-17 11:35:54

Oh and this is how we sorted out the return at the top. We picked the grey out the stripe and used that on the return and landing.

MrsGsnow18 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:15:37

Autumnchill yours looking lovely! Did you have to get the stairs changed in any way first or just paint what was already there?
furbys I don't think I mind if I'm tired of it after a few years, I almost hope we'll have moved by then! Which is why I don't want to spend too much money, but these are changes I feel I need to make to make living here bearable for those few more years!

MikeUniformMike Sun 12-Feb-17 20:20:25

I don't like striped carpet on stairs. It is, as poster said upthread, of the moment and will look dated in no time.

Autumnchill Sun 12-Feb-17 20:24:03

We re-painted the stairs when we were doing the refurb of the house. If you are doing stripes, avoid wool and get a real tight weave otherwise the stripes never stay straight!

CelineW Sun 12-Feb-17 21:09:23

I know you said you changed your mind about stripy carpets because you have a lot of turns in your staircase but have you thought of horizontal stripes instead of vertical stripes? I found this photo on Pinterest and it is my favorite style. It is youthful, joyful and colourful. Yet not too much in your face. Perfect for a family home 😊

CelineW Sun 12-Feb-17 21:12:30

Don't ask where I got horizontal and vertical stripes from? I got mixed up with something else 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now