Talk

Advanced search

Ovens, fridges, dishwashers etc - which brands do you rate?

(65 Posts)
kmini Sat 11-Feb-17 08:50:21

Morning

We are buying new large appliances for our new build.

Would love to hear positive and negative thoughts on the medium priced appliance brands for:

- Oven/combination oven microwave
-fridge freezer - ideally American style
- dishwasher
- induction hob
-washer
-dryer

Any thoughts very much appreciated

kittybiscuits Sat 11-Feb-17 09:01:22

I like Bosch for laundry. I had a beautiful miele fridge freezer but it had a very expensive repair just outside of warranty and then it died- very poor. Currently have a Siemens dishwasher and AEG freezer. Happy with both. Watching with interest about ovens. Basically German appliances get my vote every time.

MaynJune Sat 11-Feb-17 09:08:48

I've had very good experiences with Siemens oven and dishwasher. Very reliable.

weaselwords Sat 11-Feb-17 09:11:53

I like Smeg for the name.

difficultyear Sat 11-Feb-17 09:19:29

Bosh, Siemens's and neff are all made by the same company and all very good quality.

Miele and Gaggenau are top prices and very good if you have the money.

I like Samsung for laundry personally

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 11-Feb-17 09:20:43

We have Miele everything.

Had terrible issues with Smeg so would never recommend them.

Laselva Sat 11-Feb-17 09:20:56

I have a smeg fridge freezer, my mum had a smrg oven, neither of us will ever buy smog again. Both have neff ovens and love them.

JoJoSM2 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:21:56

The best bit of kit I could recommend is my Siemens dishwasher - really fantastic.

NoelHeadbands Sat 11-Feb-17 09:23:29

Have also owned a Smeg Fridge freezer and a Smeg integrated oven and hob, and all were spectacularly shite.

Would recommend Rangemaster ovens and Samsung fridge freezer

creativevoid Sat 11-Feb-17 09:23:33

Smeg is complete rubbish. Looks good but poor design and poor quality. My repairman says he makes a very good income repairing smeg. I have contemplated having my smeg oven and hob replaced - they are that bad. I have a Bosch washer and tumble dryer and they are great (but we're very expensive so I am not sure about the value for money equation yet).

Eminybob Sat 11-Feb-17 09:26:22

We have had our fridge freezer for about 8 years with no problems whatsoever. Never even needed to defrost it. It's a Beko so at the bottom end price wise. We also have a Beko condenser drier which we have had for 3 years with no problems.

My washing mashing is a Samsung eco bubble one though and I love it, plus it came with a free 5 year warranty

nell15 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:31:11

Get the best you can afford. There was a report in Which magazine recently with looked at the best brands of white goods in terms of longevity and endurance. Bosch neff Siemens Miele and Samsung came out best. I'll try and put a link to it later if you like

NicolaMarlowsMerlin Sat 11-Feb-17 09:33:25

We've also had a beko drier with no problems.

Now have most things Miele incuding a dishwasher which is brilliant.

We have a sub zero fridge freezer which is far and away the best fridge I've ever had, but it is ££££££ so unless you've already budgeted for it it prob won't work.

SallyGinnamon Sat 11-Feb-17 09:38:42

We bought John Lewis own label for laundry stuff and it's still going strong 10 years later.

Just redid kitchen with Neff which is fine. DM has some Bosch, also fine. Her Miele washer has had to have new circuit board and other stuff so I'm not convinced it's any better than mine.

I HATE HATE HATE my induction hob though! Switches itself off randomly, squeals its head off if it gets a bit wet e.g. Steam dropping down from pan lid, or you wipe it over. DM and MIL have the same problem with Bosch and (can't remember MIL's brand!!). The touch sensor doesn't work if you've got cold or slightly wet fingers... I could go on.

Best thing ever is my pyrolytic self cleaning oven. I love it.

NotMeNoNo Sat 11-Feb-17 09:41:06

We have Bosch washing machine, dishwasher and fridge freezer, both no problems at all. The washing machine came from some mystery clearance place on ebay but I figured being a Bosch it was worth the risk - had it 3 or 4 years now.

NotMeNoNo Sat 11-Feb-17 09:45:28

I'd go for Neff for ovens. BTW if you are having a stack of mid level ovens, make sure the top one doesn't end up so high nobody can reach into it, especially if it has a flap down door.

It really is worth a few £ to subscribe to Which if you are spending that much!

specialsubject Sat 11-Feb-17 09:45:37

Most of them are the same thing from the same factory with different labels!

QuitMoaning Sat 11-Feb-17 09:47:35

We have Samsung ecobubble washing machine which is awesome but broke down after 10 months (kept shorting out) and customer services were the worst I have known in a long time. Wanted me to pay for electrical engineering survey and accused me of misuse.

When I finally did get an engineer from them he said it was one of the best machines you could buy but if it did go wrong customer services were dreadful. Btw the heating element had furred up from hard water. Really not my fault.
Just about to get a new kitchen so am also,interested in brands as most appliances will nee replacing (not washing machine though). Going Neff for ovens though!

llangennith Sat 11-Feb-17 09:50:55

I replaced my old American style fridge freezer with separate, tall, larder fridge and freezer. Much more space and options.

AverysillyoldHector Sat 11-Feb-17 09:54:41

AEG and Miele have both been great for us. As have Bosch although not as good as they used to be. I would never have another Samsung fridge freezer - we have had multiple issues with two.

namechangedtoday15 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:01:48

Neff for ovens and induction hob.

Have always had bottom of the range washing machines and dryers, usually Beko or similar and they've been great. Probably replaced every 5-6 years, so not sure if that's false economy and more expensive appliances would last longer.

Blinkyblink Sat 11-Feb-17 10:03:36

Miele,Miele and oh, Miele

Millimat Sat 11-Feb-17 10:17:48

When we did our kitchen we bought all neff appliances apart from the washing machine which was integrated so you can't see the male anyway. I've been really disappointed. The oven is never at the temp it should be. Gas hob knobs broke. Extractor fan doesn't seem to do much hmm

9GreenBottles Sat 11-Feb-17 10:33:06

Bosch washing machine for around 15 years, had Bosch dishwasher for 2 years then moved to house with integrated Neff dishwasher and it's not as good in my experience (even if it is made by the same company)

Iamastonished Sat 11-Feb-17 10:45:26

"We have Bosch washing machine, dishwasher and fridge freezer, both no problems at all."

Same here. We have been living in our house for 13 years and are still using the washer and dishwasher that were here when we moved in. Our Bosch fridge freezer is about 10 years old, and we also have a Bosch tumble dryer that I am pleased with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now