Talk

Advanced search

House inspections for rented properties - what is a normal amount?

(46 Posts)
AfroPunk Sat 11-Feb-17 08:32:54

We have rented for a while and were managed by a private LL for years who did not do house inspections. But we moved last summer (June) and have been inspected a few weeks after moving in, and in November. Got a phone call yesterday by the agency our property is managed by and they want to inspect again.

We've booked it in but I feel this is really intrusive. Dh asked why we were being inspected yet again and they said they do it every 3m. We were unaware of this. It seems a lot to me. I don't object to every 6m, but every 3m seems too much.

Any advice is appreciated. TIA.

JoJoSM2 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:41:46

I can see that it's annoying to you but clearly the landlord pays the agency money to look after the property well so they inspect it 4 times a year. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing - a good opportunity for you to point out to any little problems and niggles you spot.

Spam88 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:42:41

Isn't it in your tenancy agreement?

Our last one specified 3 months. They didn't actually inspect once, but there we go...

specialsubject Sat 11-Feb-17 09:42:54

First a month or so after moving in, to answer any questions /check for obvious issues, then six monthly. One of those same time as gas cert.

3 months is too often. Contact landlord.

Cupoftchaiagain Sat 11-Feb-17 09:47:50

We had every 2 months. Total nightmare. Private renting sucks.

MouseLove Sat 11-Feb-17 09:51:24

Private rented and didn't have an inspection in 5 years. My landlord was actually wonderful looking back now. This was 5 yrs ago now so I'm guessing things have changed in the renting game. Every 3 months is quite intrusive unless you live in a poor/posh area where standards need to be checked??

BlueClearSkies Sat 11-Feb-17 10:31:06

I have been renting for the past 9 years, 3 different houses, not once have I had an inspection.

Anticyclone Sat 11-Feb-17 10:43:56

Once lived in a flat with inspections every 6 weeks! Letting agents are twunts.

scaryteacher Sat 11-Feb-17 11:07:48

I pay for my letting agents to inspect every quarter. I don't care if it's tidy or not, but I do care if there are things that need sorting, especially as sorting things early can avoid bigger bills later. As we are abroad, it gives me peace of mind.

specialsubject Sat 11-Feb-17 11:16:59

For the 'it sucks' brigade, six months is a compromise between leaving the tenant in peace and protecting the property. As it takes months to evict if needed, an occasional check for a 'grow', a small illegal business or a load of extra occupants has to be done.

Don't care if tenant is messy, do care if property is being damaged or things that need fixing ignored .

Gwenhwyfar Sat 11-Feb-17 11:20:17

Been in the same flat nearly 6 years and been inspected once. I made a huge effort of cleaning and tidying, which was a waste of time. Also a waste of time to take time off for it. Next time I'll make no effort and let them let themselves in with their key. In my case they were only checking if the place was in a really, really awful state.

FookyNell Sat 11-Feb-17 11:44:56

Last place I had was annual, at the same time as the gas cert.

This place is every 3 months and it boils my piss. We're a middle aged couple, been here 3 years and both work FT, not students!

scaryteacher Sat 11-Feb-17 12:01:27

Fooky Your age is irrelevant. I had a couple in their late 50s, mid 60s, renting my place. They consistently 'forgot' to mention issues with the house, despite three monthly inspections, (and managed to set fire to the sitting room) which cost me a shed load when I finally got shot of them. For me, quarterly inspections means issues are dealt with early on, and gives me a heads up on likely costs as well.

SockswithSandals Sat 11-Feb-17 12:08:18

We rent through an agency too and have inspections every 3m. Total pain. They come in and look in cupboards and take photographs of every room. I hate it

charlestrenet Sat 11-Feb-17 12:18:48

Three months here as well. I hate it. The guy that does it makes comments about how many toys my kids have (they are all tidied away when he comes and in boxes on (my) shelving units). He usually comes half to three quarters of an hour early. The first time, I wasn't wise to him and was still cleaning and he actually took a photo of our breakfast dishes on the side waiting to be washed up! He runs his finger along blinds and windowsills to check for dust.

I've stopped being there for inspections now because I can't take almost a week's leave every year for this shit paticularly when twice the inspection was cancelled with no notice, but it really is horrible to think of him doing this in my home and I get upset and stressed every time it happens. Of all the shitty things there are about being a tenant, this is one of the worst.

WaitrosePigeon Sat 11-Feb-17 12:33:12

Just say no. They can't come in without your permission.

charlestrenet Sat 11-Feb-17 12:54:01

Yeah because that would go down really well, wouldn't it?

Sunnyshores Sat 11-Feb-17 14:08:45

Your landlord has probably been told by the letting Agent that 3 months is normal (justifies their hideous fees). I think generally, inspections are a good thing for lls and tenants as any issues can be resolved quicker, but appreciate its a pita. They should be looking for maintenance issues, big problems etc not taking photos of dirty dishes and dusty blinds.

However, if my tenant found it really intrusive or inconvenient as they worked nights etc I wouldnt object if they asked me to review the frequency.

Gwenhwyfar Sat 11-Feb-17 14:12:22

"I think generally, inspections are a good thing for lls and tenants as any issues can be resolved quicker, but appreciate its a pita. "

The person who does the inspection for me is not the same one who does/arranges maintenance work. Me telling them there's a problem to be fixed is exactly the same as emailing the agent.

NiktheGreek Sat 11-Feb-17 14:20:12

3 months is excessive. I rent out a property which has recently been vacated by a tenant who was there 2 years. I wish to god we had inspected more regularly, she has made some MAJOR changes to the house that is now going to cost us to reverse and put the house back to how it was. She neither asked for or was given permission! So yes our fault for not insisting on regular inspections but will not make that mistake again.
I would say 6 months is reasonable.

charlestrenet Sat 11-Feb-17 14:42:48

Sunnyshores would you think it reasonable if the tenant found it inconvenient and intrusive even if they didn't work nights? Because having someone come poking around your home every three months is exactly that. I have considered getting in touch with the landlord for this reason but don't know if it would mean they thought I was being antagonistic. But we've been here for over two years, always paid on time and never damaged anything. Surely if we were going to move in a load of Albanians/set up a cannabis farm/punch holes in the walls etc we'd have done so by now? What would your response be to such a tenant who says that they feel that their right to quiet enjoyment is being affected by this?

scaryteacher Sat 11-Feb-17 15:14:40

charlesstrenet My letting agents have been told I don't give a damn about dirty dishes, or untidiness (I rent abroad, and am not at all tidy), but about the fabric of the building. That is what they are there to look at - any niggles, leaks, appliances not working etc. The sooner we know about it, the sooner we can fix it.

specialsubject Sat 11-Feb-17 15:29:48

As a piece of anecdata, I had tenants who didn't notice water coming into.a room from a failed flat roof (for those who don't know, flat roofs do that,). Agents didn't do six monthly inspections, in the end neighbours told me about the plants on the roof.

Then I got it fixed. And these were high earning high.flying non drug dealing tenants with lovely furniture.

A property does need a twice yearly check.

charlestrenet Sat 11-Feb-17 15:45:28

Scaryteacher see I wonder if my landlord is of the same mind. I suspect most are, which is why I have considered contacting him. I know nothing about him though, despite him knowing plenty about me (had to give copies of my employment contract and six months' worth of bank statements plus previous ll reference etc), so maybe he really does want pictures of an unwashed porridge pot sent to him. But I wonder if it's just this one particular inspector going on a power trip and maybe if the landlord knew he would say something. Or maybe he wouldn't give a shit or worse think I was a trouble maker. Incidentally there has been a small leak in the hallway since we moved in (so obviously started before) but despite me telling them about it repeatedly apparently the landlord doesn't think it's an issue and I am just to "keep an eye on it". But my kids' toys in boxes on shelves is worth taking pictures of?

charlestrenet Sat 11-Feb-17 15:54:28

He has replaced other stuff since we've been in here - white goods and shower that stopped working. But it just seems a bit mad if the purpose of inspections is to identify problems that a problem I have raised repeatedly is ignored while an issue is made of unwashed breakfast dishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now