Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Extension costs in the south east?

(12 Posts)
Winstonsma Sat 11-Feb-17 08:21:51

I have just received 3 quotes for our shell only (no kitcten, flooring, decor or windows/doors) extension. It's single storey and 11m x 4m, so about 44sqm.

I live in the south east (Hampshire/Surrey border) so expect it to be more expensive than most part of the country and less than London!

Our quotes are 74k, 84k and 94k. I'm gobsmacked! I have read online that (finished, with kitchen) extensions are around 1500 per square metre but all our quotes are higher than this - the highest is 2100.
Pretty gutted. We had 2 builders give as an estimate cost before we had the drawings done (and changed nothing) and both were 55k. I can't get either of them to quote properly at the mo angry

Does this sound high, or did you pay a similar cost for your extension?

Kahlua4me Sat 11-Feb-17 08:43:31

We live on Berkshire/Hampshire border so not far from you. My friend is having a similar extension and quotes were from 50-70k.

She was originally told it would be about 20-30!

lindylove14 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:04:02

44sq/m x £1500 (which is not generous these day, esp in SE) is £66,000. Plus VAT at 20% takes you to £79,200.
You'd then expect to pay extra for kitchens and bathrooms as the cost of them is a kind of "how long is a piece of string" question. The £1500 figure was never going to include them, sorry.

JoJoSM2 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:33:46

I'd get a few more quotes as it does sound a lot if not even doors and windows are included.

namechangedtoday15 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:55:36

I agree with lindylove44, the £1500 you see quoted is per square metre before VAT and just for the shell. We're in an expensive part of the country too and don't think the quotes sound too out if kilter. If you can't afford that, go through the quotes and see what you can do to reduce the figures.

Winstonsma Sat 11-Feb-17 10:03:40

Thank you.x
Seems like a lot for a box on the back! There's nothing else we can take out, we'll either have to save for a year or do something completely different (convert garage maybe). Argh!

Winstonsma Sat 11-Feb-17 10:05:25

So it's guide of 1500 + vat for no windows, doors, flooring etc. shock
Really need to move somewhere else, the house was already extortionate! confused

namechangedtoday15 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:13:30

No, I think its generally accepted to be the shell ready for decoration. So I'd expect it to include windows and basic doors, electrics and plumbing and the base ready for flooring to be laid (not the actual cost of the flooring or laying of it if you see what I mean). But that's only a general rule, different builders do it differently.

JoJoSM2 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:32:50

If you're considering a garage conversion then that's a much cheaper option. You could also consider reducing the size of your extension -44sq is a monster. If you half the extension size, you'll half the cost and it might work anyway.

loveslipstick Sat 11-Feb-17 10:47:30

My Husband's old employer roughly quited £2k per sqm

Winstonsma Sat 11-Feb-17 14:24:32

Thanks everyone I'll let you know if I get better quotes or manage to cut something out!x

Cacofonix Sat 11-Feb-17 14:37:09

Our architect told us that it used to be £1500 but now for a basic spec finish it is £2000 and for high end with good kitchen; underfloor heading etc it is more like £2500.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now