Talk

Advanced search

shower in bathtub - yay or nay

(12 Posts)
kelpeed Sat 11-Feb-17 04:07:07

As part of a larger house rennovation, we are planning to redo our (two) bathroom.

The bathroom currently just has a relatively spacious shower, not a capsule shower, but one with tiled floor. I really want to add a bath tub in this room - there is space to have at middle-size bathtub.

We've had a a few people come to look at the space (builder and an architect) . Both have commented against combining the bath and shower, citing "safety and mobility" issues. The architct has since provided a few concept drawings but only one had a shower/bath combination in them.

I really do not get why the archtect seems to be missing the point. Is it him? Or maybe it is me?

I've lived in houses with shower/baths for most of my life, and I see plenty of combined arrangements in houses for sale. If it were truly a safety thing, then surely the standards would rule out the combinations altogether?

Or is having separate a shower and bath a current fashion thing in the building world?

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sat 11-Feb-17 04:31:15

A lot of bathrooms don't have enough space for separate bath and shower, so it's either /or, or a combined bath shower.
That said, I'm not keen on shower curtains as they are the work of the devil.
Would you go for a P shaped bath with a screen.

Have g both separately is ideal but might make bathroom feel cramped

kelpeed Sat 11-Feb-17 04:52:58

we are planning to have glass pane to contain splashes. This has worked quite well for us in the past.

so yeah, no curtain.

Meridien Sat 11-Feb-17 04:54:44

With a growing older population it's a growing need. DH and I are in our late 60s and disabled, both with mobility issues. We're moving to a new-build where we're going to install a house lift. It has a master en-suite with a walk-in shower fed from the boiler. The bathroom has a combo bath/shower with a very good electric shower. This looks like the ideal solution; if the central heating boiler fails we still have a back-up shower which is not ideal for us but usable with care for a short time. Neither of us would want it to be our main shower. We can't take sit and soak baths, we'd have to bathe sitting on a stool which makes bathing more of an inconvenience, and not too warm either. Getting out still needs more care than just walking out of a shower. How old are you? If you're planning to be in the house into your 60s and beyond, I'd think seriously about taking the architect's advice. HTH.

kelpeed Sat 11-Feb-17 05:30:33

meriden, thanks for your insight.

I am still youngish, at least in my head.

We have two bathrooms at the moment, one with separate shower and bath and the other has just a shower, neither of which i dont like.

When the time comes,, we could always revert one of the rooms to a separate walkin shower. but since the house is already on a steep hill and there are loads of stairs, we'd probably move out altogether should we find it hard to move around (that is, the house is already not very good for those with mobility issues).

Meridien Sat 11-Feb-17 07:45:58

I am still youngish, at least in my head.

Me too! My back, hips and knees disagree with me, though, they think they're 90 and let me know it. sad. Where we're going will let us enjoy what we love doing, be easier for us, and still be close enough for friends and family to visit, and we them, we're really looking forward to it. smile

I hope your plans work out well, it sounds exciting.

JoJoSM2 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:38:56

I think it's just a personal preference and issue of space. If I was redoing out bathroom again, I'd have shower over bath but I'd put in 2 washbasins as DH and I always seem to want to use it at the same time... On the other hand, some people don't take baths and they would prefer a monster shower. Just go with what feels/seems right for you and your family.

brooklyn66 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:41:41

If you have the space I'd always go for separate bath and shower. Moved from shower over bath to separate and amazing how much more room you feel you have when you not just standing at the end of the bath!

Depends on the room and layout but when you sell next I think separate is always going to be a winner. If you do though, make sure you put a small 'microphone' shower head in the bath - for rinsing it out or washing hair over the bath.

RedBugMug Sat 11-Feb-17 11:42:09

wrt to mobility. my inlaws have just had a swivel seat fitted to their bathtub. that wouldn't wirk with a p-shaped tub.
they can either lower the seat to have a bath or have a shower sitting down.

kelpeed Sat 11-Feb-17 21:14:58

thanks all.

space would be an issue if we had separate showers/baths. I want space in the bathrooms, fo that people can stand and get mostly dressed. Plus i like to use loads of bleach to clean - bathtubs are easier to contain the bleach plus the tile grouting needs more scrubbing.

i guess I am a bit irritated with the architect (already!!) since the shower/bath combined arrangement is one of the few things we knew we wanted. So now he is inadvertently making us uncertain about it. (we have asked him because we are looking for guidance on stairs, roof line, kitchen and utilities room, and how it all "flows").

kelpeed Sat 11-Feb-17 21:25:10

P.S. speaking of cleaning, separate units would also mean more surfaces to clean (not a hobby).

Villagernumber9 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:51:59

My vote is yes. I love to soak in a nice hot bath but the overhead shower is great when you want a quick shower.
The shower is also great for my wife when she wants to rinse her hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now