Talk

Advanced search

Problem with neighbour...

(7 Posts)
Emubymummy Fri 10-Feb-17 23:00:20

Just want your advice - just bought an inhabitable house. A neighbour was aggressive at us for making noises - we did few DIYs sometimes at 11am on the weekdays and never do any noise work outside the hours and on Sundays also I notified him that there was going to be some noises because the house needs work. Now we feel that we can't do anything about the house because i don't want a neighbour get aggressive at me again. I am living in an uncomfortable temporarily home with our little children

JoJoSM2 Sat 11-Feb-17 00:11:53

I'd just inform the neighbour of days and times that you might carry out work, e.g. Monday to Friday 8-6 and Sat 9-2 or something. Don't bother him at odd times but don't put up with any crap from him either.

Villagernumber9 Sat 11-Feb-17 02:03:08

What is he exactly expecting you to use? Rubber hammers?
You are doing everything right. Speak to him and ask when would be the best times for him for you to do the work.
If he starts getting arsey with you then apologise and just tell him that you are not breaking any laws and he will just have to put up with it.

didireallysaythat Sat 11-Feb-17 08:07:49

Search your council web site to find their definition of reasonable working hours for building work, so that if you neighbour complains to them you know what's what. I guess if you are looking at 2 years of noise then you need to be sympathetic but if it's a couple of months then the council hours (perhaps not Saturday morning!) would be reasonable I think.

Winstonsma Sat 11-Feb-17 08:16:44

As above check council guidelines. He can't expect you to never do it but try to get a mutual agreement - you've got to live next to him when is done. Remind him you're doing his own house value a favour - it's a good thing when neighbour's improve!

Thinkingblonde Sat 11-Feb-17 08:26:32

Carry on with the work but let him know you'll be working xx to xx hours on weekdays. Stand up to him op, otherwise he'll think he can ride roughshod over you.

If he threatens you in any way call the police.

Gwilt160981 Sat 11-Feb-17 08:30:35

Just do the diy and ignore the miserable arse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now