Talk

Advanced search

Changing a few rooms around - WWYD?

(10 Posts)
SerialReJoiner Fri 10-Feb-17 15:11:55

I want to move our utility room, make it into a toilet (poss. wet room/shower as well) and convert the attic bathroom into 7th bedroom.

My ideas so far are:

1. utility in basement (there is one window for ventilation and water is plumbed down there)
2. bathroom in basement (would need macerator I should think)
3. utility in lean-to or conservatory on the end of the kitchen (possibly need building permission for this, as the kitchen itself has been extended back in the 80s I believe)
4. utility in shed (electrics but no water, so will have to be plumbed)
5. extension on side of house (sort of a dead zone that is just weeds, stones and an empty garden bin!)
6. rearrange the 1st floor bathroom to make a utility area (combi boiler lives in a cupboard there)
6. something I haven't thought of yet?

What would you do? Also - pertinent - what would be the cheapest option....

cestlavielife Fri 10-Feb-17 15:18:25

if every bedroom has one or more people in then you need a lot more bathrooms on each floor.

SerialReJoiner Fri 10-Feb-17 15:25:30

Have already considered that. Bath in the top floor bathroom is never used.

JoJoSM2 Fri 10-Feb-17 17:07:42

What do you need the utility for? That will determine the best location for it - e.g. laundry, washing pets, cutting flowers, storing extra food etc. Also, not sure what your needs or lifestyle is but it looks like too many bedrooms in too small a property. I'd be looking to use the space for en suites, dressing rooms, a study, craft room etc. whatever would actually get used. Unless you need 7 bedrooms obv.

Millimat Fri 10-Feb-17 17:14:03

I'd say the basement.

SerialReJoiner Fri 10-Feb-17 17:41:50

Utility for laundry purposes. We will need all 7 bedrooms eventually, within the next five years or so.

JoJoSM2 Fri 10-Feb-17 18:04:19

Wow... Sounds like a very big family. I'll put the laundry in the basement to preserve space on other floors as much as poss. I'd also look to have as many bathrooms as poss if you're going to have a lot of people in the property.

difficultyear Fri 10-Feb-17 18:42:40

My last house had a utility and shower room in the cellar accessed from proper staircase in kitchen.

It was perfect.

Now renovating larger house but no cellar and I'm going to miss it terribly!

difficultyear Fri 10-Feb-17 18:42:59

I also thought

difficultyear Fri 10-Feb-17 18:43:55

Oops posted too soon.
I also thought about putting utility in the shed, but everyone keeps trying to put me off the idea saying I won't use it in winter or when it's raining or at night time when it's dark, so maybe that's something to consider?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now