Talk

Advanced search

Lost Property Deeds

(7 Posts)
monkeysaysno Thu 09-Feb-17 16:57:03

We are less than a week away from exchange and my solicitor has informed me today that the title to the house are lost. The solicitor has advised us to take out an indemnity policy which the seller has refused to pay for (£90) because she paid for for her own indemnity when she purchased the property. The property was built in 1990 and the current owner has lived there for 10 years.

We really love the property and would be gutted to lose it now.

Please can someone talk to me about the implications of all this and what it means in reality. Is there any ways to get copies?

Thank you

wowfudge Thu 09-Feb-17 17:13:31

Does the seller's indemnity cover her and her successors in title? Can she provide a copy? The ball is in her court - if she wants to sell and can't prove title, how can she sell it to anyone? Your solicitor needs to explain the implications to you in full, preferably in writing. Presumably then, the vendor hasn't sorted out title since she purchased the place and she bought before the compulsory registration deadline in the area.

specialsubject Thu 09-Feb-17 17:22:06

if she's been there 10 years then surely the deeds are on line from the last sale? I thought all sales after 2005 were recorded that way?

£90 is peanuts to keep the house but obviously it needs to solve the problem.

monkeysaysno Thu 09-Feb-17 17:45:30

Hi wow, no her insurance only covers her. I guess some people are still willing to take the risk of buying without deeds.

I asked the solicitors assistant about the implications and she just started talking about how they did not know if there was any covenants on the property and how the insurance they suggested would cover us. I am awaiting a further call back.

special -- I thought this too but it would seem they didn't have the deeds to pass on either.

After some research it would seem the the insurance would only cover the outstanding mortgage not what we had already paid off.

NeverTwerkNaked Thu 09-Feb-17 17:55:06

For the sake of £90 is it worth arguing over?!
It's pretty standard to get indemnity policy in these circs, who pays is an matter of negotiation, but if you want the house I wouldn't waste much time arguing about it!

NeverTwerkNaked Thu 09-Feb-17 17:55:45

You should be able to get indemnity insurance for full value of house and successors, I doubt it will cost significantly more

wowfudge Thu 09-Feb-17 18:17:54

Good point special - I was looking at 1990.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now