Talk

Advanced search

1 ensuite & 2 family baths or 2 ensuite & 1 family?

(25 Posts)
SnowGlobes Thu 09-Feb-17 13:02:35

The house has 3 tiny ensuites with tight showers, loo & hand basin all shoehorned in. The family bathroom is also tiny with a bath, loo & basin again all squashed in. We've 3 daughters. All the bathrooms are in a row. I'm thinking we enlarge the whole 'bathroom area' making the master have an ensuite and then two average sized 'family' bathrooms for the girls to share (plus visitors). So then none of them have to go through one of the others bedrooms for the loo/shower etc. What do people think?

Kiroro Thu 09-Feb-17 14:20:02

How many bedrooms in total? Is there a downstairs loo?

I would much prefer a house with 1 en suite and 2 family baths but I might not be typical.

munchkinmaster Thu 09-Feb-17 14:23:03

I'd have 2 ensuite (master and guest) but I have 2 kids.

RebelandaStunner Thu 09-Feb-17 14:27:40

1 ensuite to master and 2 family baths. Not a fan of houses with too many tiny ensuites squeezed in for the sake of it.

IneedmoreLemonPledge Thu 09-Feb-17 14:58:01

Second option. 2 family bathrooms.

SnowGlobes Thu 09-Feb-17 16:18:47

5 bedrooms and there's a loo downstairs.

randomsabreuse Thu 09-Feb-17 16:21:46

1 ensuite and 2 family- otherwise there will be arguments over who gets the 2nd en suite unless it's the guest room. 2 between 4/5 better than 1 between 3 for showers assuming guest couple...

lucy101101 Thu 09-Feb-17 16:22:44

We had to make a similar decision and went for no en-suites! I think they are overrated honestly and I like not having a bathroom off of my bedroom (this was after living in a house with lots of en-suites!). I would always got for family bathrooms so option 2!

Xmasbaby11 Thu 09-Feb-17 16:23:36

1 ensuite

2 family bathrooms

Perfect!

BoboChic Thu 09-Feb-17 16:26:03

Fewer ensuites! The more time passes the more I appreciate the flexibility and privacy of non ensuite bathrooms. And I hate ensuite loos.

DramaAlpaca Thu 09-Feb-17 16:26:47

We've a five bed with two en-suites and a family bathroom.

In retrospect I wish we'd put in just the one en-suite and two bathrooms, as the guest en-suite is tiny and yet it's used all the time by our teenagers as it has the only shower that doesn't run off the immersion so can be used at any time of day. Two bathrooms would've made much better use of the space.

So I'd go for your second option.

OhTheRoses Thu 09-Feb-17 16:27:16

One en-suite, two family bathrooms.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Thu 09-Feb-17 16:33:10

I have been thinking about this today. There are 2 family members so I thought we could each have a suite with bedroom, ensuite bathroom (shower rooms) and dressing room, then spare bedrooms and 1 family bathroom with bath and separate shower. I didnt realise so many people didnt like ensuites.

BoboChic Thu 09-Feb-17 16:35:58

I think en suites are going the way of over fitted kitchens...

specialsubject Thu 09-Feb-17 17:24:36

2 family bathrooms plus the downstairs loo.

just because they are girls, doesn't mean they get to spend hours in the bathroom. They can do that when they have their own place.

how many bathrooms do you want to be cleaning?

JoJoSM2 Fri 10-Feb-17 17:30:30

I'd go with 1 en suite and 2 family bathrooms too ;)

everythingshunkdory Fri 10-Feb-17 20:04:59

I hate the concept of en suites for kids so definitely 1 en suite, 2 family bathrooms here too. I've actually been put off houses where one DC would have an ensuite (that I'd have to clean) and 1 wouldn't. Plus unless you're having guests to stay every weekend, I don't understand the concept of the second bedroom (with en suite) being for guests. Seems like such a waste to me!

SnowGlobes Wed 22-Feb-17 10:48:34

Thanks everyone! I was concerned that 2 bathrooms and one ensuite would be weird when we came to sell. But seems it wouldn't put anyone off or at least mumsnetters

Svalberg Wed 22-Feb-17 12:09:35

We have a family bathroom, family shower room (though there's only 1 other bedroom on the same floor) and plans for a downstairs loo. The non-en-suite shower room is going to be invaluable when the family bathroom downstairs gets refurbished.

minipie Wed 22-Feb-17 12:55:35

yy 1 ensuite and 2 family bathrooms

If it's possible (depends on floorplan and bathroom size), perhaps one of the family bathrooms could have two doors - one to the landing and one to a bedroom (both lockable obv) - so it could be used as an ensuite or a family bathroom.

trixymalixy Wed 22-Feb-17 17:04:45

We have 1 en suite and 2 bathrooms. We're actually considering taking out the en suite as there's no room for wardrobes and it never gets used.

NapQueen Wed 22-Feb-17 17:08:40

Can you give two of the bedrooms a "Jack and Jill" bathroom? Then id do a shower ensuite for your room and a "family bathroom" which would be the third daughters main bathroom.

VacantExpression Wed 22-Feb-17 17:15:54

I'd go two family bathrooms too, unless you have guests frequently?

SnowGlobes Thu 23-Feb-17 23:01:39

Good idea minipie

Pallisers Thu 23-Feb-17 23:07:46

I'd do only one ensuite for your bedroom and the other 2 as separate bathrooms.

We are currently in a house in which there are 2 family bathrooms and both have 2 doors so have the option of being an en suite. To be honest I think it makes guests very nervous knowing there are 2 doors - and it makes it seem less private. I wouldn't like using a bathroom that is essentially off someone else's bedroom tbh.

We are doing up our house and have one en suite for us (not really directly off the bedroom) and 2 separate family bathrooms - one with bath and shower, one with shower. The way it is laid out, the shower room will probably be used only by guests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now