Talk

Advanced search

Does this plumbing bit exist?

(8 Posts)
HemiDemiSemiquaver Thu 09-Feb-17 07:28:56

I've just moved in to a flat, and the shower has some minor niggles - I find that I have to stand really far back, right against the bathtub taps, in order to be underneath the spray.

It's just a normal shower over bath with the bar on the back wall above the taps that you slide a shower-head holder up and down.

It's a fairly normal looking shower head, too, very slightly curved, about 7 cm diameter. I thought it might help if I got a slightly larger diameter head, and then tried to get it to stick out further into the bath.

I tried to see if I could find a shower head that had just a longer handle bit, but failed. So I was thinking that I could get a solid connector piece that fits into the holder on the bar (screws into the hose) and then screw the shower head to other end of that.

I thought I saw the right sort of thing on eBay, but not in any of the plumbing/diy sites, which made me suspicious - if only eBay sells something, then I suspect it's a bit dodgy/not worth it!! So any ideas if this kind of thing exists for real, and what it might be called?

(I tried shower head extension to find that).

wowfudge Thu 09-Feb-17 07:43:17

I've got one you can have OP if you pay the postage - pm me. Bought it for our shower which is over the bath, next to a huge window and has wooden panelling around it (stupid idea). Evety time anyone had a shower the panelling behind the bath taps and the bath surround were drenched.

The only reason the extension doesn't work is because where the shower head hooks up to the wall it is shaped and I cannot find a holder to replace the current one which it will fit in and be held in place.

The weight of the extension makes the shower head drop because the bracket is like the one in the picture. I tried tightening it but no joy.

I decided it wasn't worth spending more money buying a new hose, shower head and bracket and slung a £5 shower curtain across the taps instead. The extension would have been a much better option though. We plan to replace the bathroom within the next couple of years.

eurochick Thu 09-Feb-17 08:03:35

Can't you just tilt the shower head so the spray comes out further?

HemiDemiSemiquaver Thu 09-Feb-17 08:30:32

Somehow angling it didn't really help - the spray didn't feel very strong or properly on top of me, if you see what I mean. I still had to stand very far back near the taps. Maybe that's normal for this sort of shower, but you'd think there'd be something standard to just hold the shower out further!

thanks fudge, but it's not the right sort of connection, though the idea is good - I need something that fits in the shower-head holder that slides up and down a bar (i.e., you put the showerhead handle itself in the space, so I need something that has a showerhead sized end, then a tube with a screw on the end to attache the showerhead to).

Kind of like this ebay one, except that I suspicious because I've only seen them on ebay. (I think there were some chrome ones too?) Not sure quality would be very good. There is probably a reason if plumbing shops don't sell them.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160mm-Shower-Head-Extension-Angled-Shower-Arm-Extra-Pipe-stainless-steel-/262324894021

Alwayscheerful Thu 09-Feb-17 08:55:50

The eBay "seller legal info" is visible in Chinese writing. I think the items are shipped from Hong Kong. The listing states seller based in Leicestershire however, There are many positive reviews for the extension, one review states item received 3 weeks early shipping might stud a while!
Give it a go and order one, they seem to sell many plumbing items successfully.

wowfudge Thu 09-Feb-17 09:19:45

You misunderstood me OP - I have a British made metal extension similar to the eBay one you have linked to. It works to extend the shower head but we can't use it because the bracket our shower head clips into won't hold the extension because it is stupidly designed. The bracket moves with more weight in it making the shower head droop down. The picture is the stupid bracket, not the extension. I was trying to explain the extension works but we can't use it for other reasons. I paid about £12 for the extension.

wowfudge Thu 09-Feb-17 09:23:18

The bracket is stupidly designed, not the extension!

HemiDemiSemiquaver Thu 09-Feb-17 09:28:00

oh sorry fudge, I did misunderstand.

I've already ordered one now - found a cheaper one than the one I linked to, and thought I might as well try it, as I don't think there's anything I can hurt by doing it, even if it's not very good quality... (I hope!!). If it doesn't work, well, it wasn't too much.

I might see if I can get a bigger shower head as well, which might also spread the water more.

And maybe bigger holes in it? this shower seems to suddenly drip about half an hour (or more) after the end of the shower, not very much but loudly enough to be noticeable if it's nighttime, for 20 or 30 seconds, and then stop. I read that it's likely to be some sort of surface tension of the water left in the shower head suddenly giving way, and that one thing that can help are maybe bigger/different holes in the showerhead...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now