Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Putting a wall back in?

(10 Posts)
Fidelia Wed 08-Feb-17 21:27:04

Just looking at some houses and mulling on how some have knocked out the wall between the hall and the front room. How easy is it and how expensive is it, to put an interior wall back into a small Victorian terrace? (to recreate the hallway)

wowfudge Wed 08-Feb-17 21:28:28

A stud wall would be relatively inexpensive.

Fidelia Wed 08-Feb-17 21:33:23

How inexpensive is inexpensive? I have no clue on this sort of thing blush

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 08-Feb-17 21:35:33

Less than £500

Fidelia Wed 08-Feb-17 21:42:12

Oh that's very reasonable. I'd probably need to put in an extra radiator and a light switch, but sounds like it could all be done for under £1k, then?

bojorojo Wed 08-Feb-17 23:34:52

£1000? Not around here. Depends if you have a water supply for the radiator or electric supply for a light switch. These costs could put it up higher. Door into the lounge? Cost of door and door furniture? Making good the floors?

Fidelia Thu 09-Feb-17 00:05:31

Yes, it would need a door etc, so...£2k, or more, do you think? Sorry, I'm really clueless on this

lindylove14 Thu 09-Feb-17 07:05:06

Also you'll need to redecorate your living room and your new hall, stairs and landing which is quite a big job. With new flooring I think it would be safe to have £5k in your pocket, and you might not spend it all.

Fairylea Thu 09-Feb-17 07:08:14

If you need electrics and a new radiator putting in you'd be wise to budget between 3-5k. If you just wanted a simple wall (just stud wall and plastered etc) it could be as little as £300-500. It's when you start rewriting electrics and plumbing that things become expensive.

lindylove14 Thu 09-Feb-17 07:34:43

If it's going to be a very small hallway and the rest of the house is well heated, you might get away without a radiator which would make the job considerably simpler. Problem is that you won't know about availability of plumbing until you lift the floorboards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now