Advanced search

Water pressure affected in house - help!

(7 Posts)
carnation2531 Wed 08-Feb-17 21:21:12


The head of my hot tap broke recently, meaning I had no hot water. My dad came to replace it, turning the stop cock so the water stopped, and when the water is back on, the water pressure/flow in the whole house seems to have been really affected.

When we turn the shower on and a tap on at the same time, the shower turns almost completely off. And it isn't as powerful as before. Again, if we have the basin on upstairs, the water isn't as powerful if we have the sink running downstairs.

Worth mentioning we have a combi boiler with no water tanks at all in the house. And have checked that the stop cock is fully opened.

Any ideas welcomed!

Villagernumber9 Wed 08-Feb-17 23:13:13

Well, with you checking the stop tap, it's taken that out of the equation.
Just try turning the stop tap off, turn on all of your taps then, turn them all off again.
Then turn your stop tap fully on again and turn your taps on, one by one, starting upstairs first.
It could just be trapped air somewhere in your pipes.

PigletJohn Wed 08-Feb-17 23:54:54

I think you mean flow, rather than pressure.

Does the stopcock look like this? (observe the diagonal slope on one side). If old the jumper may have come off.

What is the diameter of the pipes going into it? Are they plastic (blue or black); iron; lead or copper? The age of the house will give clues to the plumbing.

Have you got a water meter?

carnation2531 Fri 10-Feb-17 18:47:31

We do have a water meter Yeah - I've run the taps for ages so hopefully ruled out air in the pipes.

Someone mentioned about the valve in the stop tap braking because of over turning? How likely is this?

PigletJohn Fri 10-Feb-17 19:36:15

it can happen with age, but you have not said.

The water meter includes a stopcock so it is possible to turn the water off outside, enabling your own stopcock to be replaced, or to have the working parts renewed with needing to disconnect it from the pipes. Depending on their age, size and material this can be easier.

carnation2531 Fri 10-Feb-17 23:57:44

The house was built in the eighties I think.

Would messing around with the stop cock / water meter be classed as something simple enough for me to do, or would it be advisable to get a plumber in at this point?

PigletJohn Sat 11-Feb-17 01:22:15

At that age it should not be broken or worn out, but it might be stuck. Post some photos if you can, including a close-up of the spindle under the T-handle, showing any marks on the tarnish. If you can include the pipes going in and out, or tell me their diameter and colour, I can advise how easy (or not) it would be.

BTW, a useful tip, when you have a tap or stopcock that doesn't get turned for long periods, wind it fully open, then back half a turn. That makes it less likely to jam. If you are closing it, turn it off with easy hand pressure, not with great force. If it leaks when hand-tight, it needs re-washering or replacing. Same with bathroom taps. If turned off with great force, it wears the spindle and crushes the washer, causing drips. Older people tend to do that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: