Talk

Advanced search

crested newt, bat & otter survey

(6 Posts)
Racmactac Wed 08-Feb-17 20:19:56

Has anyone had to have any of these surveys carried out? Can you give me an idea of costs - I'm thinking probably very expensive !

InformalRoman Thu 09-Feb-17 10:59:32

This company seems to have fairly typical costs (NB, haven't ever used them so this is not an endorsement):

arbtech.co.uk/protected-species/

specialsubject Thu 09-Feb-17 16:34:11

oh, those newts. You had better hope they aren't found or you will be up for a year's delay while the approved newt-mover gets set up. I wish I was kidding.

You may want to investigate what happened after this consultation:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35965121

they are NOT endangered in the UK (they are in Europe) and this insane one-size-fits-all legislation causes massive delays to conservation projects as well as building. Meanwhile our other wildlife gets minced in windfarms....

and as Brexit is at least two years away and won't change legislation by default (which in many other cases is good, so all for that) don't wait for that!

Peanuts79 Fri 10-Feb-17 12:26:38

We thankfully only had to have a bat survey but this was expensive - we couldn't submit planning without one and droppings were found on the initial survey so we had to go on to have 3 dawn/ dusk surveys where a maternity roost was found. We are currently applying for a European Protected Species Licence and up to this point have spent about £3500!

Racmactac Sun 12-Feb-17 19:12:40

Thanks everyone. Bloody expensive and I think we will forget that house!!

Asteroid2000 Mon 13-Feb-17 19:02:15

Our bat survey cost about £350 plus vat. Fortunately there was no sign of bats.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: