Talk

Advanced search

Double/triple glazing

(6 Posts)
elvislives2012 Tue 07-Feb-17 21:31:08

Hi all
Live in a 1950s rural house with DG that's about 30 years old. There are stone mullions dividing the window units so as a result the house is COLD. Going to get new windows and had someone round today. Is it worth getting triple glazing? We don't need it for the noise reduction and if we just get standard double glazing we will notice a big difference anyway. Worth it or not? Be an extra £800
Thanks

Fairylea Tue 07-Feb-17 21:33:25

I wouldn't go for triple. We have a 1950s house and have double glazing and have issues with condensation and ventiliation because houses of this age aren't designed to be so well insulated. We have to have windows open a lot of the day and heating up to dry it out. I imagine triple glazing would just make any issues like that even worse. But that's just my opinion. smile

bojorojo Tue 07-Feb-17 21:34:07

Stone? Won't the appearance of the house be radically changed if they go?

almondfinger Tue 07-Feb-17 21:53:19

If you have lots of north facing windows it mght be worth considering triple glazing on those. Our north side is triple glazed and the south is double glazed. (New build)

If double glazed are well fitted i imagine you will see a great improvement.

Twopeapods Tue 07-Feb-17 22:16:11

We installed triple in our last property and it did stop the condensation. It wasn't the best quality as we were on a tight budget and it was our first property.
New house has good quality double and it's actually better. So I think it definitely depends on the quality.
My mum installed top quality triple in her bedroom which was a cold room and it has made a huge difference.

elvislives2012 Wed 08-Feb-17 02:45:44

Bojorojo not really. All the houses have got rid of it now so probably just a progression
Good idea about just the north facing ones so might consider that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now