Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cellar windows

(7 Posts)
QuattroFormaggio Tue 07-Feb-17 14:21:16

Hello

We have an unconverted 3 chamber cellar in our Victorian terrace. Have the washing machine and tumble dryer down there but otherwise just use it for storage. Two of the chambers have original windows which are broken with rotten frames and need to be replaced. The windows have a small void in front and those iron bars above but they are below ground level.

My question is, what can I replace them with? Will double glazing cause problems with damp in the cellar by not allowing enough ventilation? At the moment it's relatively dry likely because the windows allow so much air through

Thanks

scaryteacher Tue 07-Feb-17 17:56:13

My cellar in the UK doesn't have a window, but a grid across the opening in the exterior wall, as it was formerly the coal cellar. My cellar here in Belgium has no windows at all, just air vents from the outside. The cellar in the previous house didn't have windows either iirc, but airbricks, and wasn't damp; we kept the condensing dryer and washing machine down there.

Snifftest Tue 07-Feb-17 19:44:11

Make sure you get windows with vents in and you should be fine.

QuattroFormaggio Tue 07-Feb-17 20:49:14

That's great, thanks for your replies!

McGintyii Tue 07-Feb-17 20:56:26

You could either get a non opening fixed window but include a trickle vent. You could get an opener - small top opener, or side opener depending on size - you can still have a trickle vent too. Or if there is limited space to open the window outwards you could go for a tilt and turn window which would open inwards (I have a similar Victorian property and have a tilt and turn) - all depends on the size though. Most opening PVCu windows will have a secondary lock position to allow you to still lock the window fully but with a small gap smile

SerialReJoiner Tue 07-Feb-17 21:07:53

Thanks ms for this, op. We have a very similar setup in our home and you asked the same question I would have! Best of luck getting it replaced. I am hoping ours won't be too pricey but am worried about the lintel.

QuattroFormaggio Tue 07-Feb-17 21:20:57

A small top opener is a good idea, thanks. I basically need it to be watertight but allow plenty of airflow. One of the old windows still has the original pantry wire so that's lovely and draughty!

SerialReJoiner- I just dragged myself off the sofa to check the lintels and buggar, they do appear to be old, crappy wood. Had never noticed before! Will see what the window guy says...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now