Talk

Advanced search

Cost of Converting a garage

(10 Posts)
thisgirlrides Tue 07-Feb-17 12:20:31

We have the space to extend & want more living area but sadly not the budget so decided to convert our single garage into a room + en-suite but so far haven't had a quote come in under £30k! I was expecting far less than this and wondering if we just need to keep looking for someone cheaper or we need to adjust our expectation (& budget!).

This is for knocking through a door into the house, changing front into a window, bricked by up a back door, raising the floor by 3-4", usual insulating, plaster, plumbing & electrics etc & partition wall. Bathroom f&f, flooring etc are all budget option and both quotes include 5% contingency but not the additional cost of moving our gas & electric meter confused.
We are in the SE which presumably makes a difference sad

everythingshunkydory Tue 07-Feb-17 12:58:54

Wow I would expect to pay half that (midlands)

Elllicam Tue 07-Feb-17 13:03:38

I've had a quote for £5000 (scotland) that was without a bathroom though.

orangepudding Tue 07-Feb-17 13:07:41

I'm in Herts and paid 9k for a garage conversion recently. It was without a bathroom and we didn't need any knocking through as there was already a door from the house

Truckingalong Tue 07-Feb-17 13:09:28

We had 2 quotes for this which were both c£18k. We're in north west.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Tue 07-Feb-17 13:12:25

My parents were looking to do this and the costs were £35k +. They live in Surrey.

TwitterQueen1 Tue 07-Feb-17 13:27:47

Gosh, way too much. Have you tried www.countygarageconversions.co.uk/

suzyrut Tue 07-Feb-17 13:28:49

Hi,

We had our garage converted on our previous house about 2 years ago. Cost for the building work was £6k without a window or bathroom. However we're currently having a loft conversion with an ensuite and new windows. The quote for those are bathroom £6k including suite and just over £1k for a 1600 x 1600 aluminium window.

So that's not even half the quote you've got. Where abouts in the SE are you, we are Surrey?

thisgirlrides Tue 07-Feb-17 13:57:29

I'm in Kent so unfortunately the company in the link don't cover our area but I'd welcome any recommendations. We had read around £8-10k for a single garage but figured £15k should cover moving the meters & allow for overinflated SE pricing (& we can get there s added to our mortgage without a full revaluation/survey) so to say these quotes were a shock is an understatement! I'll definitely call in a few more people so thanks for the feedback I just wanted to check my estimates weren't totally off the mark. Bastard rip-off merchants envy

Honey1975 Tue 07-Feb-17 14:00:55

We had a quote of 5-6k to turn garage into playroom. We're on Surrey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now