Talk

Advanced search

How much is a new boiler?

(16 Posts)
Thenorr Mon 06-Feb-17 21:13:08

Hi all,

Just found out we need a new boiler.

Can anyone tell me what they've paid for one recently please? Don't trust the people who quoted us at all...

Thanks

FortunaMajor Mon 06-Feb-17 21:32:05

I was quoted £1400 by a skeevy guy I really didn't trust. I got someone else in who fettled with it for 10 minutes and got it working. He charged me £30 and quoted from £900 for a new one depending on brand.

It depends on the size of the house and what you are running from it as to the size of the boiler you need. I'm in a 3 bed house with 1 bathroom.

Get at last 2 more people in for a quote. Try to get a local recommendation. Good luck.

NashvilleQueen Mon 06-Feb-17 21:35:07

I had to have a new one last year. It was a big job as my old one was immersion type and all gas pipes needed to be upgraded. Also a big house so needed a powerful boiler. It was £2800. That's with keeping old radiators as well.

Parsley1234 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:35:20

I've just had a boiler go in a rental so needed it quickly the difference in price was crazy from £4000 over 24 months to £900 Worcester Bosch and fitted for £300 by a mate think £1500 is about right for a Worcester and anything else I think is false economy

Racheyg Mon 06-Feb-17 21:38:40

We got a new valiant boiler last year and it was £2400 fitted. It was a British gas deal (apparently it was 50% off)

PuraVida Mon 06-Feb-17 21:41:13

We just had one, though we had to have all new radiators too. We paid £4.5k (much bigger job than just a boiler) British Gas quoted is £8.5k. Moral of the story check online who's has safe registered in your area and use them NOT one of the big energy companies

PuraVida Mon 06-Feb-17 21:42:17

Oh yes, we also had to have old back boiler removed and all it's tanks so it was a v big job

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 06-Feb-17 21:44:16

2400 to have a new boiler in a 5 bed house (kept old radiators etc) it was a two day job and we got a very good boiler that should hopefully last a long old time!

biddleyboo Mon 06-Feb-17 21:44:38

Never go with British gas! Massively overinflated prices even with the "deals".
Get some local quotes, it will depend on where you are but here (NW) you could get a Worcester boiler with a 10 year guarantee for £1800-2500 depending on model/size/current set up

Joyofscreamingjoy Mon 06-Feb-17 21:50:48

You could look on the energy saving trust website too, depending on your circumstances/ income etc they may be able to help. We paid 2k for back boiler/water tank removal and decent new boiler. (Not through EST)

Longdistance Mon 06-Feb-17 21:53:12

We had a Worcester fitted for £1,600. 4 bed detached house, independent guy recommended to us by our builder. Also had a quote from BG, and that was extortionate. So, wouldn't bother with them.

BikeRunSki Mon 06-Feb-17 21:58:06

We paid £1970 (the year I was born so I remember it!) for a new Worcester Bosch boiler, new thermostat, 6 thermostatic radiator valves, all fitting and a bit of plumbing. This was 2 years ago. 3 bed detached house.

This was less than half what BG quoted us for just the boiler.

We found the fitter on a clicky link on the Worcester Bosch website.

I'm in West Yorks.

biddleyboo Mon 06-Feb-17 22:01:09

YY to finding an installer on the manufacturers website, they may be a touch more expensive but can usually give longer guarantees on the boiler than joe bloggs fitting it. An extra two years peace of mind is worth it if you can afford it.

Racheyg Mon 06-Feb-17 22:17:32

biddley I agree you should shop around but at the time the British gas deal worked out cheaper than a gas engineer (corgi registered ect) we are in London, not sure if that makes a difference thou.

PigletJohn Mon 06-Feb-17 22:24:11

If you want a good laugh, ask British Gas to quote.

Make sure you have some sensible ones to compare it with.

If your old boiler was old and unvented (no pressure gauge) you should expect to pay for a powerflush, which is the best part of a day's work, and a system filter to catch the remaining circulating sediment. You will probably also need TRVs, new programmer, thermostat, etc. This will add hundreds of pounds. Anybody quoting £900 can't be planning to do a good job.

Have a look on your chosen manufacturer's website to see if they have a register of approved installers. You may find you get a longer guarantee if you do. Have a look at Vaillant and Viessmann.

This is the time of year when everybody wants their boiler mended, so you will not get any special offers, and good people will be rushed off their feet.

In July they will be twiddling their thumbs or cruising on their yachts.

PigletJohn Mon 06-Feb-17 22:28:46

old and open-vented

I meant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now