Talk

Advanced search

Estate Agents obligations...

(15 Posts)
Camelopardtoes Mon 06-Feb-17 16:10:12

Have just seen that a house I had looked at previously has reappeared on the market, presumably because an agreed sale fell through, just wondering if the EA is obliged to confirm if/why a house does not proceed

Confutatis Mon 06-Feb-17 16:11:28

Yes, they are - they can't deliberately mislead you and the solicitors usually ask this question, too.

Camelopardtoes Mon 06-Feb-17 16:17:41

Excellent, thanks, hopefully it's nothing major and fate has given me a second chance grin

PurpleDaisies Mon 06-Feb-17 16:18:53

Our first sale fell through when our buyer couldn't get a mortgage. It's often nothing to do with the house.

Good luck!

anotherBadAvatar Mon 06-Feb-17 17:51:52

Happened to us. Previous buyers pulled out because they found a more suitable house. (Confirmed by the fact they were friends of friends). Nothing wrong with the house itself. In fact, they gave us all their surveys and searches for free. We put an offer in 2 days later and got the house. Win win!

SellFridges Mon 06-Feb-17 19:45:04

Our first buyer pulled out because they mistook a Victorian terrace for a new build hmm

We were happy for any subsequent viewers to know that as we didn't want messing around again!

Confutatis Mon 06-Feb-17 20:21:37

Good! I hope it's the right house for you. It's such a stressful thing in life, buying and selling a house... We complete on ours next Monday and thank goodness it's over...!!! Good luck.

user1484830599 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:03:23

O/T but SellFridges how on earth did they manage that?

We were in the same situation and asked if the EA if it was due to a survey etc as we were told that if you ask they can't lie to you. Ours fell through as the original buyers couldn't afford it.

Lilmisskittykat Mon 06-Feb-17 22:37:24

Mine fell through as buyer had got carried away with negotiations and the sale of his flat fell through

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Tue 07-Feb-17 06:54:40

One house a family member was looking to buy had had the sale fall through 3 times previously. Estate agent didnt specify why wouldbt say. So we get survey done etc turns out you couldnt get a mortgage on it as it was a prefab detached bungalow but cladded so not obvious. Bloody sellers and estate agents lied and when they put it back on the market after us still no indication of the problem.

Camelopardtoes Tue 07-Feb-17 14:19:13

Estate agent is tight lipped 😔 Which makes me think survey issue?

PurpleDaisies Tue 07-Feb-17 14:45:38

What do you mean "tight lipped"? Won't they give you any information at all?

Camelopardtoes Tue 07-Feb-17 16:16:36

They just made a lot of non commital noises hmm may make an appointment and just ask the agent when they're in front of us.

user1484830599 Tue 07-Feb-17 16:22:18

Yes, you definitely need to do it face to face. And be very specific in your questioning too "So, Mr EA, what was the reason for the sale falling through? Was there an issue with the survey?" There is no way they can wheedle out of that.

IF you still have no clarification I would be saying to them that you would like to put in an offer (if you want to I mean) but are put off by a sale falling through and would need to know EXACTLY why before putting in an offer.

Confutatis Tue 07-Feb-17 22:29:52

Another tactic would be to explain how interested you are in the house, if indeed you are, but to say that you are anxious about the lack of clarity regarding your question about the previous sale. Your offer therefore reflect this. And then put in a lower offer. They can reject this, of course, but they will know that if there is a serious problem, then any buyer is going to come back after survey and ask for a price reduction. If there really is no reason to worry, then you will be okay. If the survey shows up problems, well, your lower offer has accounted for this. The problems are so bad that your lower offer doesn't fully account for this, you probably want to be avoiding the property anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now