Talk

Advanced search

Survey issues - talk to the agent or the solicitor?

(14 Posts)
MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 06-Feb-17 14:49:17

Hello,

We've just had a survey back for the house we're buying and there are SO many unforeseen issues... do we talk to our solicitor about this or do we speak to the agent about renegotiation?

listsandbudgets Mon 06-Feb-17 15:26:07

Usually the agent at this point.

What does the surveyor say about the valuation? Is it in line with your offer?

AgathaF Mon 06-Feb-17 15:39:13

Are the issues real, or are they the sort of surveyor arse-covering 'issues' that are not really relevant?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 06-Feb-17 15:49:33

I have no idea really, I don't know enough about each thing to judge if they're big jobs or small jobs...

Things we didn't know about are:

Flashings and renderings to chimney stack

Repair roof tiles

Refelt utility room roof

Replace all fascias & soffits

Gas safety check - new boiler almost certainly

Electricity checked & new distribution board

Water tank & heating system needs replacing

I love the house, I love the location. I just need to know what things need to be done straight away and if the '3' on the survey is really as urgent as all that?

I don't really know where to go from here! Happy to send someone knowledgable the survey if they want to advise me.. grin

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 06-Feb-17 15:50:38

I already knew about artex, rendering, conservatory etc needs replacing. But this other stuff has been a surprise.

FemaleDilbert Mon 06-Feb-17 15:51:29

Apart from the water tank and heating system one they all sound very standard for any house that is more than 20/30 years old.

We had boiler and radiators done in one house, not too disruptive or expensive really.

AgathaF Mon 06-Feb-17 17:04:29

The roof and chimney work sounds relatively simple and inexpensive. Re-felt roof depends what type of felting and what type/size of roof. Could be a DIY thing or might need someone in to do it.
New distribution board - shouldn't be too expensive. Probably needs doing as either hasn't got power breakers or isn't metal as new regs stipulate they should be. Probably not urgent although not expensive either.
Are the fascias & soffits visibly rotting/damaged? If not then probably just arse-covering.
It's sensible to have someone do a gas safety check anyway. Is the surveyor saying the boiler needs replacing, or did you know that anyway? If it's the surveyor, how did s/he check it to come to that conclusion?
What's actually wrong with the heating system and water tank? CH systems can last years and years. Why does he think there is a problem?

It really sounds like you need to dig a bit further and ask some questions about what flagged these issues up. It might be better to go for another viewing with someone who is either knowledgable about this stuff, or take a builder with you to look at things.
Out of interest, what type of survey did you have?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 06-Feb-17 17:10:05

Thanks, they're not quotes from the survey directly, that's the list my DH sent me of the problems... but honestly in this area he's as clueless as me.

We had a homebuyers survey.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 06-Feb-17 17:10:30

The fascias & soffits are concealing wet rot? (I think)

specialsubject Mon 06-Feb-17 17:10:49

New distribution board not pricey but bet as it isn't to current standards, electrician will have to do a lot more than that.

If fascias and soffits are wood then they will need replacing at some point.

How old is the.boiler and heating system?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 06-Feb-17 17:50:03

Not sure, but they haven't been checked for over ten years at least.

bilbodog Mon 06-Feb-17 18:59:49

Before you speak to the agents or solicitor speak to the surveyor who wrote the report. They are normally happy to go through the report with you. Quite often they suggest things need looking at by an expert in that field but it doesnt always mean the job has to be done straight away if at all. Then speak to the agents if you still feel there is more to do than you realised. Often a good idea to go round a house with a general builder who can tell you how urgent/serious any issues are - and may not cost you anything.

AgathaF Mon 06-Feb-17 19:54:17

Homebuyers surveys don't really go into much detail, so I'd be surprised if he'd checked the boiler properly or electrics. He won't have been on the roof, just viewed from ground level and from the loft hatch, better to get a roofer or builder round to properly look at the roof. Likewise the soffits and fascias - he'll most likely have just looked from ground level, so it could be that they just need a decent paint and then they'll be fine for years.

Phone him and have a chat, then take someone who's reasonably knowledgable round to view with you.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 06-Feb-17 21:17:29

Thanks, I've arranged to view with someone on Saturday. Hopefully everything is good... I don't want my DH to try and renegotiate is out of it. I love it... I don't want to live anywhere else. (He said this is making me blind!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now