Talk

Advanced search

Niggles about planned Bathroom layout

(18 Posts)
Endlesslllove Sun 05-Feb-17 21:30:52

We're extending upstairs to make a bigger master bedroom and also extend our bathroom. We've been over and over the layout with the architect and he insists it has to be the way he's drawn it (I'll attach drawings of how it currently looks and how we'd extend it.). I think he's right, but wanted some extra opinions to put my mind to rest. My niggles are that I think the extended bathroom doesn't have a natural or logical plan, I would ordinarily put the loo and sink next to each other for example. Do you think having them a little bit apart will be a pain or won't we notice so much? The work will start in a few weeks so just having last minute worries! I've never planned a bathroom before so would appreciate any advice, thanks!

Endlesslllove Sun 05-Feb-17 21:32:19

Current bathroom

Endlesslllove Sun 05-Feb-17 21:33:50

Extended bathroom. The box opposite the door is the airing cupboard

minnymoobear Sun 05-Feb-17 21:38:42

In the middle of an extension here with 3 bathrooms to do! Bathstore were really good inhelping to map out layout and some good online 'drag and drop' planners that DH found while we planned and argued our way through ours.
Worth having a play and telling architect what you want your room to be able to do for you.

We moved out boiler to the other side of the bathroom to get in a shower cubicle, after we did an online plan and saw how we could move things and create space

Good luck!!

outabout Sun 05-Feb-17 21:41:12

Hi
Get the architect to say WHY it 'has' to be his way. Is it a design reason or would there be a building reg/serious practical restraint?
Get chairs, boards and whatever props you need and 'mock up' the proposed new layout in a larger room so you can try out the layout.

allthekingsshoes Sun 05-Feb-17 21:46:43

I see what you mean . Looks a bit like you don't really gain anything by extending. Are you having two doors ?

Endlesslllove Sun 05-Feb-17 21:48:11

Thanks for the advice. I suggested moving the bath so it would be next to the shower and the sink next to the loo. He thought it would be odd to have the bath right up against the walk in shower, and there was a question about whether some of the old wall needed to remain for structural reasons, in which case the bath is boxed in. I sort of gave up arguing after that, have a baby and a toddler so limited amount of energy!

Tubbyinthehottub Sun 05-Feb-17 21:49:45

I don't think you'll notice. The sink in my ensuite isn't right next to the toilet and I never thought about it until now.

allthekingsshoes Sun 05-Feb-17 21:49:46

Sorry you gain a shower.

Endlesslllove Sun 05-Feb-17 21:49:57

Yes, @allthekings we're adding a door so we have jack and Jill doors and can access the bathroom from our bedroom

Endlesslllove Sun 05-Feb-17 21:50:54

Thanks @Tubby, that's reassuring!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 05-Feb-17 21:53:33

The layout looks fine but from our recent experience: if you have the space to open the door by the shower outwards or even make it a pocket door, do consider it. It's made a dramatic difference for us.

Nospringflower Sun 05-Feb-17 21:54:09

I think the layout looks fine and agree that the bath next to the shower would look odd.

Endlesslllove Sun 05-Feb-17 22:05:41

Thanks all! I feel better about it now smile

allthekingsshoes Sun 05-Feb-17 22:19:24

Right can't see any other way to do it. It's not wide enough for a stud wall for the sink as you come in the new door ? So sink faces loo? Or sink on the wall of the airing cupboard ? Prob what you've got is best !

SloanyAnne Sun 05-Feb-17 22:25:19

So when you go into the bathroom through the door next to the loo, you have to check that the other door is locked and then remember to open it before you leave? Or is there a kind of central locking/unlocking thing that happens?

Permanentlyexhausted Sun 05-Feb-17 22:34:04

Sloany OP has small children right now, so I doubt that's much of an issue for a few years.

EineKleine Mon 06-Feb-17 10:04:10

i don't think it's weird not to have sink next to loo, I think they're normally put together because that's the only way they'll fit in our small bathrooms. I quite like the idea of keeping my toothbrush and the hand towel further away from loo germs, thanks!

I also like the way the shower and bath are separated. 2 people could use it in relative privacy. I think it might just look like a bathroom that's designed to be this big, rather than one that's had an extension bolted on. My only niggle is whether it looks like a separate bath and shower room where someone's forgot to put the wall up in the middle, especially with the 2 doors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now