Talk

Advanced search

Can you fit a cabinet round existing sink plumbing?

(10 Posts)
twolittleboysonetiredmum Sun 05-Feb-17 15:39:45

Just that really. Small cloakroom sink with ugly plumbing, could I buy something and somehow fit it round it?!

PigletJohn Sun 05-Feb-17 16:00:30

yes

cabinets usually have thin, non-structural backs that can be cut away, or are spaced 50mm or so away from the wall to allow for pipes.

You will find a jigsaw or multicutter useful.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Sun 05-Feb-17 16:07:28

WHere would you aim to fit it up on on a sink? As it's a bowl I can't picture how that would work without going right to the rim which could look odd?

FannyWisdom Sun 05-Feb-17 16:09:46

Have a look at vanity units and choose one which lines up how you want it.

Some only have a narrow slot for the trap.

WankersHacksandThieves Sun 05-Feb-17 16:11:39

Well, if you don't want to change the sink to a vanity unit type, then this sort of thing might be what you are looking for?
www.tesco.com/direct/compact-bathroom-under-sink-cabinet-white/298-5927.prd?skuId=298-5927&pageLevel=sku&sc_cmp=ppc_sh-_-sh-_-tesco-_-298-5927&sc_cmp=ppc*sh*msh*bg*px_-_shopping_gsc_-_bathroom*298-5927&gclid=CID_hpGs-dECFSyT7Qod-mQOIA&gclsrc=aw.ds&source=others

WankersHacksandThieves Sun 05-Feb-17 16:17:12

we have something like this in our downstairs loo as we have concrete floors so it made trying to shift the pipework a bit tricky. plumbers just cut away the back panel to incorporate the pipes and changed some to more flexible pipes but it was the drain that was the main issue.

www.cheapsuites.co.uk/White_Minimalist_Compact_Unit_Floor_Standing/pr58801.html?gclid=CJOJntOs-dECFYGw7QodDIINJQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 05-Feb-17 16:24:10

i have done it with an old Lloyd Loom style cabinet

you can practise with bits of cardboard to get the shape/cutout right before you start hacking at work top.

Mine was a bit lower than a modern sort of vanity unit, more like www.homefurnitureland.co.uk/images/light-507wm-1_0.JPG[ a basin ON a unit]] than a basin IN a unit

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 05-Feb-17 16:24:52

oh link fails.... but i think they work!

twolittleboysonetiredmum Sun 05-Feb-17 21:03:33

Thanks for all those, really helpful. I didn't realise you could buy ones that were already cut in wankers, thanks. I'll have to measure up as that's by far the easiest way.

WankersHacksandThieves Sun 05-Feb-17 21:11:51

No problem - there are probably loads of different ones, here is another:

www.argos.co.uk/product/8332763

Perhaps not as nice a finish as the ones with the inset sinks but for a no hassle option they are great and obviously look a lot nicer than the bare pipes etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: