Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Glazed internal doors for 1930s house?

(10 Posts)
mymanchesterhome Sat 04-Feb-17 23:53:21

If you put glazed doors in a 1930s semi, what style would you go for to not make them look completely 'off'?

We recently moved in to our first home which is a 1930s semi. We are redecorating the hallway and livingroom and need to get two new internal doors (hallway/livingroom and hallway/kitchen). I do like the style of the typical 1930s doors (two thirds of long, narrow panels with a wider panel at the top of the door). However, the hallway is quite dark so we're also considering glazed doors to borrow light from livingroom and kitchen.

I realise glazed internal doors are not exactly a typical 1930s feature, but would appreciate any advice on style that you think would complement an older house smile

Aftershock15 Sun 05-Feb-17 00:29:51

We have a door taken out of our 30s house that is 3x 5 glazed obscured glass. Might not be common but it is original. Did put it back as the wall was gone and we needed fire doors in the new door ways.
You can have it if you live anywhere near - East of England

caroldecker Sun 05-Feb-17 00:47:22

We have original 30's doors like this

LBOCS2 Sun 05-Feb-17 01:00:51

Our house is late 20s/early 30s and we have doors like this (original - Bakelite handles and all!)

Werkzallhourz Sun 05-Feb-17 01:09:25

It really depends on what you like.

I've found that the best glazed doors are actually from Howdens (so you need a joiner to fit them for you and buy them through their account). They do a variety of styles: some of which are quite '20s/'30s in design.

Take this one for example or this one.

wowfudge Sun 05-Feb-17 05:46:44

You could have reclaimed doors glazed, if that's what you want. There are lots of salvaged one over three doors available and a local glazier would be able to fit glass for you.

JillyJameson Sun 05-Feb-17 07:15:09

How about just replacing the top panel of the 1 over 3 doors with glass. We have exactly the same problem in our house (same age house too) and I've been wondering about this. If we don't do that then we're going to go for a very simple wood framed door with a single large glazed panel in the middle. like this

TheElementsSong Sun 05-Feb-17 14:12:42

These are our doors (1920s house), you can see a glazed and unglazed version, they are original to the house.

MiaowTheCat Sun 05-Feb-17 22:26:34

We had a door like the whole glass one posted but it was one period feature I did rush to get removed from the safety angle.

Downstairs we've just got a bog standard DIY shed half-glazed jobbie and it doesn't look out of place really. Upstairs when we get round to it we'll get the original doors stripped back.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 06-Feb-17 09:24:53

Considered this for our 1930s house but didn't do it in the end, this is what I would have had - basically as suggested above, its the traditional 1930s panelled door with the top panel replaced with glass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now