Talk

Advanced search

toilet in kitchen

(23 Posts)
redsonia14 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:51:42

Just bought a house and toilet is under the stairs access through kitchen. Not able to move door. I don't like the thought of toilet in kitchen but hubby does. What's people's opinion?? Should i keep or block off?

GummyGoddess Sat 04-Feb-17 13:16:21

I know someone who has a toilet in their kitchen that is just separated by a curtain so it could be worse!

I wouldn't like it but if the room was fairly large I would tolerate it.

NetballHoop Sat 04-Feb-17 13:25:28

I'd hate it. Also I'm sure I read somewhere that building regs state that there must be two doors between a kitchen and a toilet so a curtain would surely not be legal.

wowfudge Sat 04-Feb-17 13:27:20

I think the two doors rule no longer applies, but I can understand why you don't like the access through the kitchen.

Winterbelle Sat 04-Feb-17 13:31:05

New build houses on our estate definitely have a downstairs loo that comes straight off the kitchen (with a door!) so 2 doors aren't needed anymore.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sat 04-Feb-17 14:08:57

My sister in the US had a loo directly off her (large) kitchen.
Never seemed to be a problem, but you might have to ban to upstairs loos the sort of blokes who enjoy asserting their territory by making vile stinks they like to waft out after them, and won't use air fresheners.
At least for poo purposes.

YorkshireTea86 Sat 04-Feb-17 14:23:29

Our downstairs loo is off the dining last of our kitchen. Never really thought about it tbh.

redsonia14 Sat 04-Feb-17 22:41:11

Seems it's quite pricey to block off toilet and waste pipe? Anyone know?

traviata Sat 04-Feb-17 22:45:34

is this better?

Etak15 Sat 04-Feb-17 22:47:18

It's fine you just need to get everyone to remember this line "no poo in the downstairs loo"

Etak15 Sat 04-Feb-17 22:48:44

Ha ha just looked at that picture! At least you could nip for wee and watch for your pan boiling over grin

SheepyFun Sat 04-Feb-17 22:55:24

You can't enforce no poo in the downstairs loo on your guests unless you plan to discuss their needs before they go - I have probable IBS, so often need to go with little warning. I'm not embarrassed to discuss bowel habits when appropriate, but even I'd balk at asking a guest to declare their need by saying 'only go downstairs if you need a wee'.

How big is the kitchen? Is it somewhere you'd hang around? Because, again, many people (not me!) would be embarrassed to come straight out of the loo into a social gathering. Off the hall is definitely preferable if it's possible.

We spent a lot of time discussing loo location possibilities when we bought our house!

Etak15 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:03:17

Yes well my rule is for household members only, but wouldn't enforce it on visitors wink
It's not really usual to have a poo in someone else's downstairs loo (unless of course you don't think you'll make it upstairs in time) though is it so I don't think that's a problem that would come up much.

Etak15 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:05:38

Unless you live in a very large house of course but our downstairs loo is not too far away from the upstairs one!

TheCustomaryMethod Sat 04-Feb-17 23:06:02

How many other toilets are in the house?

redsonia14 Sun 05-Feb-17 08:29:56

2 toilets upstairs

TheCustomaryMethod Sun 05-Feb-17 09:35:56

If you have two anyway, personally I wouldn't keep the one off the kitchen if I could afford to have it taken out - it would be more useful as a storage area.

TeaBelle Sun 05-Feb-17 09:40:00

Wwhy don't you try not using it for a month before you make any decisions? Decide if you miss a downstairs loo. I think a lot will depend on the age if any dc and also if youbare happy for visitors to go upstairs

Namechangeinto2017 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:32:22

We have a loo off the kitchen, if we have visitors I tell them the toilet is upstairs downstairs loo is just for family and kids to use as it's easier.

Ideally I would have liked access from the hall but there wasn't enough room.

DesolateWaist Mon 06-Feb-17 20:35:28

I have a loo straight off the kitchen. However it has a frosted glass door. Which mean that it only gets used for quick visits. Any 20 minute career shitting tends to happen upstairs.

If you have two upstairs toilets then I think you should keep it for the short term at least.

supadupapupascupa Thu 09-Feb-17 19:48:22

I've just put in a utility with a loo in our new kitchen. It works brilliantly. There's a fan automatically kicks in when the light switch goes on. No problem at all.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 09-Feb-17 20:59:20

God I'd hate it. We spend lots of time in the kitchen as family or entertaining and I'd hate to be sat there with a glass of wine listening to a guest (or even H or children) having a wee. I'd also be mortified to have to have a wee in a toilet with the host / hostess on the other side of the door listening!!

engineersthumb Thu 09-Feb-17 21:06:25

I like a long morning sitting... and if I could fry up a bacon sandwich at the same time, wow!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: