Talk

Advanced search

Are Eames/Wenger dining chairs comfortable enough to be office chairs?

(8 Posts)
LeeMiller Sat 04-Feb-17 11:33:03

For the first time ever I have a home office! I am getting a long trestle desk (Ikea) and am looking for a couple of chairs to use with it. I sometimes work from home (on the computer) and will also use the desk for my sewing machine so it needs to be comfy for fairly long periods, but it won't be used daily.

I hate conventional bulky office chairs and do not want castors. I'm short (5 ft2) with a short torso and tall office chairs that are supposed to support your back and neck always sem to curve in the wrong places for me. I love the look of classic chairs like the Hans Wenger Wishbone/Kennedy chairs and Eames DAR or DSW/DSR chairs used as office chairs, but I've only ever tested them briefly in shops and I'm worried I'll regret going for style over comfort (been spending too much time on pinterest). I can only afford replicas.

So, does anyone have any of these chairs/use them as desk chairs? Are they comfortable for long periods?

domesticslattern Sat 04-Feb-17 11:46:46

I find Eames chairs insanely uncomfortable, even for a single meal. Having said that I am much taller than you and have had back problems, so I would always seek out a desk chair that- at a minimum- was a perfect height or height adjustable. Remember you will be sitting on it more than looking at it!

LeeMiller Sat 04-Feb-17 13:43:51

Those are wise words domesticslattern , sigh. I know the Eames chairs at least are the right height for the desk, but I'm not sure if they're comfortable for hours at a time. Maybe with a cushion...

CurlyMango Sat 04-Feb-17 17:24:31

No, we have them for dining chairs but not for all day. When do works Tom home at the dining table he is in pain at the end of the day ref the chairs. A dedicated office chair is a must if it's regular. I always work from home Andy have a great set up.

TheCrowFromBelow Sat 04-Feb-17 17:46:35

Our replicas cracked when used all the time.
I'd get a proper office chair.
I was going to suggest the leather padded eames lounge chair but it is £5K shock

LeeMiller Sat 04-Feb-17 20:23:29

Oh dear. Thought I might have found a cheap and stylish solution but it looks like I need to rethink!
I've never sat in a comfy office chair, they all seem to be made for taller people. But I suppose something with a low back might suit. That Eames chair is very attractive TheCrow but even the replica is well beyond my budget. sad

LadyPenelopeCantDance Sat 04-Feb-17 22:04:25

A proper office chair is a must if sitting on it all day. I find our eames chairs comfortable by not enough to work from all day.

Ikea have lots of office chairs at reasonable prices.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sat 04-Feb-17 22:06:30

Ikea Gregor chair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now