Talk

Advanced search

Loft Hatch!

(7 Posts)
ShortLass Fri 03-Feb-17 18:27:04

I have an insulated loft hatch, which is a great idea. But it's plastic on the outside (not wood that you could paint) and it's got awfully grubby and horrible. A replacement is in order.

My dad has a loft hatch which has a ladder fixed to the inside of the door. You can stand below it, bang it with a poll and - hey presto! - the hatch opens and you pull the ladder down to climb up and retrieve those Christmas decorations.

Great, I'll have one of those! I thought. If it's made of wood then I can paint it to match the ceiling perfect! Obviously, it will still need to be insulated.

But apparently, this is not possible. This from my dad:
"Can't find an insulated loft hatch that would allow a loft ladder to be fitted. Chatted with the supplier of the biggest range and you can not fit a ladder to any of them. All that I could see were plastic or powder coated metal."

Sigh. So, get another insulated one or try cleaning the old one and just buy a tall ladder to put in the garage?

NannyR Fri 03-Feb-17 18:33:46

I have a plastic, insulated hatch with a ladder fitted. The ladder isn't actually attached to the door but it's fitted to the floor just inside the loft. You open the hatch with a stick, then use the stick to pull down the ladder.

I'm sure you can buy those ladders separately, they don't have to come as a package with the hatch.

Villagernumber9 Sat 04-Feb-17 00:50:36

Can't believe I'm recommending B&Q but, they have one.
Abru Timber Complete Loft Access Kit, (H)2.8M.
Hope this helps.

PigletJohn Sat 04-Feb-17 01:34:39

You can paint plastic.

One flowing coat of non-drip gloss.

ShortLass Sat 04-Feb-17 11:50:28

Brilliant suggestions all three!

I love this forum!

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 04-Feb-17 18:38:02

B&q sell one for £100. We are going to get one next weekend!

Newtssuitcase Sat 04-Feb-17 18:39:21

Like a PP mine is attached to the floor of the loft rather than to the hatch itself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now