Talk

Advanced search

DD's bedroom is bright orange; if I'm selling do I need to repaint it?

(64 Posts)
katymac Fri 03-Feb-17 17:42:50

She's moved out so she doesn't really care

But I'd rather not bother unless it makes a big difference

What does everyone think?

BillyButtfuck Fri 03-Feb-17 17:43:59

Have you got a photo?

TheBitterBoy Fri 03-Feb-17 17:45:13

I don't think bedrooms matter as much as living areas. When we bought our house the second bedroom was hot pink and purple, but as the rest of the house was fairly neutral it didn't feel like a big enough job to put us off buying.

Whoohoo75 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:46:43

Yes!

Bluntness100 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:47:41

I'd say yes, a lot of people don't like orange, and you'd just think you need to redecorate before you move in.

TheCustomaryMethod Fri 03-Feb-17 17:50:21

I used to have an orange bedroom and loved it (I had sanded floorboards and pale furniture so it didn't look 'too much') but the usual advice is to make everything as neutral as possible when selling.

katymac Fri 03-Feb-17 17:57:43

No photo as at the moment it's a massive tip

I have to tidy I just wasn't sure if I should paint first

There are a lot of white cupboards in there but there's also a fair amount of Pine

BillyButtfuck Fri 03-Feb-17 18:14:59

The advice is usually not to decorate as it can waste your time and money, after all a lot of buyers will want to put their own stamp on the property and may well change it anyway - they might love orange walls or they might want the whole house to be bright green.

Having said that if it's highlighter orange and not a peach or sunset orange I probably would!

katymac Fri 03-Feb-17 18:18:43

Oh the kitchen is lime green and that staying it looks really good and there's hardly any of it

But the bedroom is very orange - orange poster paint Orange, orange orange!!!

hmm soft green, white, grey?? The bedding and curtains Orange green and yellow check, and the carpet is soft green

TheCustomaryMethod Fri 03-Feb-17 18:23:05

Hard to say without seeing the room, but if repainting I think white would be the safest option - any furniture, bedlinen etc. the buyers have will look OK with that, if they don't want to decorate in the short term.

Ilovewillow Fri 03-Feb-17 18:24:25

I would paint it, don't give people excuses to try and drop the price!

wobblywonderwoman Fri 03-Feb-17 18:25:38

I would paint it, three coats max and cheap enough job to do. It gives people less of an excuse to negotiate a lower price etc

MimsyBorogroves Fri 03-Feb-17 18:26:35

We bought a house with a neon orange bedroom. DS fell in love with it hmm

katymac Fri 03-Feb-17 18:31:21

I haven't started in there yet so it's massively cluttered and a real mess ( quilt will match the curtains for viewingsy

u123 Fri 03-Feb-17 18:35:05

Ri think it'd look a lot bigger if it was painted a lighter colour.

3luckystars Fri 03-Feb-17 18:36:47

Yes definitely. White and clear everything out except the bed. You might need to paint a few coats!

reallyanotherone Fri 03-Feb-17 18:37:28

I'm househunting.

Paint, any colour is fine, easily painted over.

What i hate is feature walls. Not my taste, and it's a lot of work stripping and painting, especially when they're in every room.

Plus paint you can see if the walls are good. I've had too many experiences where the plaster has come off with the paper.

katymac Fri 03-Feb-17 18:39:30

Oh everything is going....beleive me....EVERYTHING!!

Not a thing on a surface or a pillow in sight!

Technically she has moved out just left all her crap at home

TheCustomaryMethod Fri 03-Feb-17 18:40:22

So far as I can tell on a monitor, that looks to be the same shade I used to have. I really like it, but white might make the room look more spacious as it seems as though there's quite a lot of shelving in there.

blue2014 Fri 03-Feb-17 18:45:01

Paint it, took us ages to sell ours because we favoured bold colours

Bluntness100 Fri 03-Feb-17 18:48:57

Honestly, I think it's awful, sorry op. Paint it. White or cream or pale biscuit or pale grey. Won't take long. Would it stop me buying it, not if everything else was fine, it's a lick of paint, but just don't have something that could put people off.

RumAppleGinger Fri 03-Feb-17 18:50:21

The first house we bought had an orange bedroom. It didn't put us off as we knew we would change it but it did take four coats of paint to cover it properly.

Does your house have enough going for it to make people see past it?

katymac Fri 03-Feb-17 18:53:15

Does your house have enough going for it to make people see past it? probably not

I have lots of grey so I'll start with that

7to25 Fri 03-Feb-17 19:09:04

Please remove all the shelves before you paint.
If possible change the curtains.

katymac Fri 03-Feb-17 19:11:35

Can't change the curtains & if the two corner shelves could be removed they would be long gone

The shelf on the wardrobe is just balanced, as are the pine ones on the dressing table

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now