Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Old Woking as an area

(23 Posts)
user1486141930 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:25:23

Hi All,

If there is anyone who can suggest me on this. Actually we are planning to buy a property in Old Woking, and we are looking in for areas like Winston Way, Rydens Way, Selwood Road, Coniston and around these places. Are these areas good ? We are a bit confused, as the house prices are comparatively low, especially when the houses are massive in size with no less than 1000-1200 sq ft.

We are being told to avoid maybury and sheerwater; but we are not too sure about how old woking is for a family with kids.

Thanks

Jubil

shalalala Fri 03-Feb-17 18:53:25

There is a reason why those areas are cheap!

user1486141930 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:20:15

Thanks for the response shalala. If you can help me with this it would be really great help in choosing the right property. Can you tell me what exactly are the reasons? I have been searching internet since a week now, because we did like a big property which fits our budget, but when we compare it with other properties in woking, we find it to be so less priced. we just want to know how is the locality, are these council properties or close to council properties area?

Sandsnake Fri 03-Feb-17 20:24:27

I've lived nearby. I'm not an expert by any means but I'm pretty sure that Old Woking has a reputation as not a particularly nice area. My experiences of driving through it, going to shops there etc. reinforces the idea that it's not that nice (although by no means terrible). But I may have just seen bad parts of it. Sympathies, OP, property prices in Woking and surrounding areas have gone crazy recently.

shalalala Fri 03-Feb-17 21:50:09

I agree with @sandsnake. I don't have that much knowledge of it but I'm pretty sure it's not a particularly desirable place in Woking. (Although no means terrible in the bigger picture I guess). Have you been and visited the property you are interested in and had a good look around the ages?

shalalala Fri 03-Feb-17 21:50:22

Area not ages!

SmallBee Fri 03-Feb-17 21:55:11

I don't know loads about old Woking specifically but enough to know I wouldn't buy there. It, as well as Maybury and Sheerwater are very run down and not looked after.
Would you consider Jacobs Well, Burpham, Merrow or in the other direction Bisley, Chobham, West End, West Byfleet? I think these are all nice places.

Lindy2 Fri 03-Feb-17 22:09:44

Old Woking is quite mixed but is well located for the town centre and leisure centre. Some parts are quite pretty and old village like. Some are a bit more housing estate. The main road through Old Woking can be pretty busy.
I don't know the exact roads your looking at but Googling Rydens Way and Winston Waym both are quoted as having average house prices of around £550,000. On that basis I don't think you're looking at anything too dubious. Old Woking rough may not quite match other people's definition of rough. Its call relative. If you let us know your budget people may be able to suggest other suitable locations.

Magstermay Fri 03-Feb-17 22:37:15

That area of Old Woking isn't great, like anywhere there are parts that are better but yes, I would describe those roads as ex-council and not somewhere I would personally choose to live. However, a poorer area in Woking isn't as bad as a a lot of places!

user1486141930 Fri 03-Feb-17 22:46:28

Thanks @shalalala and @sandsnake for your comments.

user1486141930 Mon 13-Feb-17 15:37:16

Hello Ladies,

Sorry for being a little late in replying to you all. Thats a very good response from everyone. And thanks a lot for all the suggestions. We have finally pulled out our offer for the Old woking property. I still love that property, 2 receptions, 3 proper double bedrooms, 2 bathrooms in just 400k. And a massive garden, front and back; which looked too much. It was close to Rydens way.

Our budget is 400; and we are london commuters; so preferred woking. There are 15-18 trains an hour to waterloo, guess we cannot get this anywhere else.

And probably thats the reason the real estate market is very crazy here;

Any idea how is Goldsworth Park as a place ? the areas near the lake and waitrose? or the areas like beechwood Road in knaphill?

shalalala Mon 13-Feb-17 21:10:06

I'm not sure about that area, sorry. We are London commuters and are in Burpham. Have you considered Burpham, Jacobs Well, Merrow? More expensive however but you may be able to get something for 400k, definitely in Jacobs Well I believe

GU24Mum Tue 14-Feb-17 09:25:44

I would definitely choose GWP over Rydens Way. You may want to check the school catchments carefully as there is one school which is very popular, one less so and one that used to be a bit of an "anywhere but...." school.

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 14-Feb-17 09:30:50

GWP is lovely, and it has a Waitrose so naice points there wink

I've visited friends in Old Woking and tbh I don't think there's anything wrong with it - it's like any area with nicer streets and more run down ones. The houses on Rydens Way are brand spanking new and very nice inside.

Consider Knaphill, Brookwood and St Johns - they're all very nice areas. Horsell very very nice but pricier.

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 14-Feb-17 09:31:14

<waves at all the Woking posters! I wonder if we know each other?!>

BlauVogel Tue 14-Feb-17 19:54:04

Hi, i live in St Johns, so kind of in between Old Woking and Gold worths park.

Personally i think Old woking as an area has more of a character and open feel to it + a bit closer to Woking park, town center and M25. As for Goldworths park, most of it around Waitrose is a new build estate with smallish houses on top of each other. In fact when i moved to Woking, i was a bit surprised that what's a Waiterose doing there.

I also looked at (on Rightmove) the house you mentioned in old woking and thought it was actually good value for money (esp for what you can get here in Woking). Not sure abt school catchments in either of those areas. Hope that helps somewhat.

Magstermay Tue 14-Feb-17 21:13:29

<waves back>
GWP is nicer, again good bits and bad bits. Goldsworth primary is supposed to be very good but it is just outside GWP.

user1486141930 Wed 15-Feb-17 15:22:40

Hi All,
Once again thanks for all the comments;
@Shalalala : After you had mentioned, i did find few properties in Burpham within 400k; they are very lovely, with much bigger gardens than what we get in woking. If you don't mind me asking, how do you commute to london, and how much time it takes? because i saw all guildford trains go via woking.. We had considered woking, just to be closer to london, and also that its within our budget. We did search for properties in walton on thames and purley but we never got anything in our budget.

@GU24Mum, peaceloveandbiscuits, BlauVogel, Magstermay : Schools are not all good in Old Woking; that we have checked; most of the good schools are in knaphill; but if we consider the distance we have to travel everyday to train station from knaphill, then we are just put off, otherwise knaphill properties are bigger than GWP. We have seen few lovely properties in knaphill in brookwood manor development but too costly 2 beds in 375k. you cannot even think of extending the property in future. The agent said that sad

BlauVogel Wed 15-Feb-17 16:01:05

Thing is Knaphill has slightly older properties (1930s and 1950's) compared to GWP, which is more recent and therefore mostly has the smaller/ modern properties.

Why not try Brookwood, which is just one stop further than Woking (in Knaphill direction). Also the parking at Brookwood would be quiet a bit cheaper than in Woking.

As for Burpham, not sure how close it is to G'ford station. If you ve to drive then be mindful of the gridlock. I some times take the A3 via Guildford and its really very bad getting to A3 in rushhour traffic.

peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 15-Feb-17 18:53:51

Most people I know who commute actually go from Brookwood because they're guaranteed a seat before the Woking crowd get on.

GU24Mum Thu 16-Feb-17 15:49:11

Hmm, "guaranteed a seat" certainly isn't my experience of Brookwood!!!

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 16-Feb-17 17:40:27

Ok, more likely than getting on at Woking. I don't do it myself, this is what they've told me.

ElBandito Fri 17-Feb-17 10:17:06

Agree that Knaphill is a decent place to live. Also Brookwood to Waterloo has a reasonable train service, a lot of the trains only make one or two stops. Could also consider Bisley to West End a bit further up the road. Not sure how expensive Pirbright is these days?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now