Talk

Advanced search

How many handles? Votes please

(24 Posts)
wowfudge Fri 03-Feb-17 08:25:30

We need to order handles for our new inframe shaker style kitchen. DP is insistent on handles for the drawers rather than knobs, which is fine but the drawers are nearly 1m wide and I think two on each drawer will look better than one. What do you think?

TwinkleTwinkleLittleBat Fri 03-Feb-17 08:37:22

I have three wide drawers and just have one thin bar handle for each drawer.

I remember thinking about this too, but felt that one looks simpler and minimal and two weren't really necessary.

Depends what kind of look you're going for really. As the drawers glide easily on new kitchens it's not as though you really need to pull a drawer from both sides to open it.

NomDePlumeReloaded Fri 03-Feb-17 08:42:47

It's difficult because I don't think long bar style handles suit the in frame shaker styling at all. They're a sleeker, more modern look, I think.

I'd probably go for a longer 'cup' style bar handle/pull.

TwinkleTwinkleLittleBat Fri 03-Feb-17 08:49:11

That's very true. The cup style handles do compliment a shaker style very well.

You could always get some handles and hold combinations against the drawers to see how it all looks before they're fitted on.

NomDePlumeReloaded Fri 03-Feb-17 09:22:03

Presumably your kitchen suppliers can do that for you, wowfudge (offer samples of different styles)? Ours did.

wowfudge Fri 03-Feb-17 11:07:56

We're ordering from DIY Kitchens and saw some in the showroom which DP was insistent he wanted. When I showed him pictures of them last night he said he didn't like them. I wanted to just put knobs on the kitchen drawers and units then thr awkward sod said he didn't think knobs look right on drawers. He doesn't like cup pulls. Painful.

Anyway, I'm thinking of two of these on each drawer - we live in an arts and crafts house - with a simple knob in the same finish on the cupboard doors.

ENinthePWert Fri 03-Feb-17 11:20:19

I have those handles positioned vertically on the cupboard doors and cup style on all the drawers

Personally I don't think knobs are right on drawers at al, but two of those handles could look very busy.

NomDePlumeReloaded Fri 03-Feb-17 11:24:29

LTB

wink

wowfudge Fri 03-Feb-17 11:31:16

Seems this is a more emotive subject than I thought! I've looked extensively on Houzz, Pinterest and online generally and you see all sorts of combinations. Providing they aren't in your face, they all look okay. Tom Howley even have long thin bars on some of theirs and they look okay, just aren't to my taste.

cujo Fri 03-Feb-17 11:31:43

I've got knobs on the cupboards, pull handles on the pull out cupboards and big cupboards and long cup handles on the drawers. I wanted cup handles but realised you would only use one hand to pull the drawer so went for long ones. They can be quite modern looking (my oh wasn't keen on the more traditional ones) but still suit the kitchen styling imo. Ours were Carlisle brass ones.

RoganJosh Fri 03-Feb-17 11:38:28

We had those wide pan drawers. We had just one handle, a bit like the one in your pic. You only need one.
I think of you have two you'll open the drawer using just one and kind off piss the drawer off from being opened at a bit of an angle.

FrogFairy Fri 03-Feb-17 11:50:46

One handle. Use one hand to pull open the drawer and the free hand to put in or take out items from the drawer.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 03-Feb-17 13:02:20

Ooh going against the grain. If you have 1m wide drawers then I think one handle will be lost in the middle of the drawer, and if you have a longer handle, I think it spoils the style of the kitchen. I'd try to persuade him to have knobs (any way you can "give up" something else so you get knobs wink?) and I'd have 2 each. There are lots of different kinds?? I dont like different handles for drawers and cupboards either, I have all knobs (small, slightly raised with a backplate on my inframe kitchen) but do like the cup handles (again they come in all different sizes, some more modern ones etc). I'd give him an ultimatum - knobs or cup handles smile

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 03-Feb-17 13:08:16

These are mine, just under a metre wide. We have the same handles vertically on the cupboards.

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 03-Feb-17 13:18:41

Actually they are 91cm so not quite a metre, just measured properly blush

wowfudge Fri 03-Feb-17 15:40:44

See namechanged I am with you on this, but Mr 'All of a sudden I am showing interest in interior design' has said knobs aren't right for drawers... and you don't want two of anything.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:19:00

smile love it wow. Fortunately Mr Namechanged typically left me to it until we were talking about TVs and the space for a BBQ smile

TattiePants Fri 03-Feb-17 19:22:49

Just measured my drawers and they are just under 1m and they have one central handle. We did try two handles but it looked too cluttered.

wowfudge Fri 03-Feb-17 21:00:41

PosiePootlePerkins I had the Flumps' theme tune, complete with flumpet, as an earworm this pm. Anyway MrFudge has come to his senses (took a couple of glasses of wine and a homemade curry) and we are just having pewter knobs now. I shall order as I see fit!

jumpingcold Fri 03-Feb-17 22:25:07

We're ordering from DIY Kitchens and saw some in the showroom which DP was insistent he wanted. When I showed him pictures of them last night he said he didn't like them.

This would so be my (beloved) DH.

wowfudge Sat 04-Feb-17 05:16:06

Yes jumping sometimes it's like living in a parallel universe.

bouncydog Sat 04-Feb-17 06:34:30

We've just had a maple kitchen installed in shaker style. We've put one long handle on every cupboard door and drawer and they look fab! They're brushed stainless steel to match sink, tap, oven frame etc. Pan drawers are 900mm wide. Handles are available in different thicknesses so very thin ones would look spindly. We found that short ones were unbalanced to the size of the drawers. All down to personal choice in the end.

gluenotsoup Sat 04-Feb-17 20:50:07

We have 90cm drawers. One handle looks good, but two would look fussy. Cup handles on the drawers, knobs on cupboards for us.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 05-Feb-17 16:27:02

Up to 800mm wide One handle - over 800mm wide, two handles is usual if handle is around 200mm long, in my experience ( if knobs two on anything 600mm and over ) but to be honest it's all about what works for you ! And what you like !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now