Talk

Advanced search

Covering/removing a vent??

(4 Posts)
sarahbanshee Fri 03-Feb-17 07:16:41

I live in a Victorian terrace with two downstairs living rooms. In one we have the original fireplace, now with a gas living flame; in the other, where the fireplace evidently was is blocked up and a small white plastic vent on the wall. Obviously this looks crap!

What are my options? I don't really need a fire in this room. Can I stick a fireplace in but not a fire; how easy would that be? Do I need to open it up or can I just stick something over? Are there any other options for covering the vent, or replacing it with something nicer?

wowfudge Fri 03-Feb-17 08:28:59

The vent allows air to circulate through the chimney. If you block it up you could end up with damp issues from condensation. Opening up the fireplace should be fine, but it could be draughty.

Alwayscheerful Fri 03-Feb-17 08:49:37

Air circulation is essential to prevent damp. Wilco sell replacement ( cheap) white plastic vents for a couple of pounds but you can also buy brass, nickel, stainless steel with various attractive surrounds such as oak. The white ones tend to discolour and get dirty and people paint over them. The sizes vary, try scrubbing the old one in warm water with a green scourer and bar keepers friend. Take the old one with you when you look for a replacement because they vary in size.

Alwayscheerful Fri 03-Feb-17 15:05:12

If you google "builders opening" you will get ideas for opening the fireplace, a nice feature for logs or candles if you don't need a Woodburner or open fire. The room will look bigger if you open the chimney breast, rather than put a feature in front of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now