Talk

Advanced search

Between exchange and completion

(6 Posts)
shalalala Thu 02-Feb-17 18:12:06

We have finally exchanged after a few very stressful few weeks. We have 2 weeks between exchange and completion.

Any tips on what we might have forgotten to plan to do, and to make the next few weeks easier? Removal company booked

specialsubject Thu 02-Feb-17 18:17:22

big thing (hopefully done!) - both properties insured.

set up post redirect
set up broadband/phone (these need advance notice)
tell car insurers of move date and new address.
tell friends and family the same.

TBH, all else can wait until after the move as the redirect should catch things. Don't forget to change driving licences and start the dull chore of changing all addresses on accounts, subscriptions etc etc. Time for a big list, tick off as you get the acknowledgements.

shalalala Thu 02-Feb-17 21:55:51

Thanks! Redirecting mail YES - forgot it took a few days to set up last time

Millimat Fri 03-Feb-17 22:27:39

I'm in the same situation. Still no move date official and exchange not gone through,but hoping to move in 10 days!
Boxes are being packed. Just keeping our fingers crossed!

confuugled1 Sat 04-Feb-17 00:54:08

Pack an overnight bag or bag for the first weekend with enough clothes to get you through including messy ones for being able to clean and move furniture etc, and a set of clothes for going to work on the first day back. I once moved flat, got interrupted when packing my clothes so dh took over. I had to ring work to say that I would be in when I had found a pair of trousers to wear - I had found all my tops but eventually found all my trousers in the very last box to be looked in, just before lunchtime...

Luckily my boss and workmates thought it was hilarious but I can imagine many workplaces might not be so understanding!

Also need to ensure that you have bedding for the first night, spongebag stuff, stuff for kids including favourite toys and things to keep them occupied, chargers for all devices, cleaning stuff, kettle and coffee and cups (or whatever you need for your drink of choice!), local map of the new area if you need it, list with all useful numbers on - solicitors, estate agents, banks, mortgage people, any trades people you might need like alarm person or locksmith, a large pack of loo rolls, a good, charged torch, a plug in night light...

and I'm sure there's more, but you get the gist of the sort of thing to think about!

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 06-Feb-17 12:08:00

Book your movers if you're using them, clean your old house so less to do on the day. Ask your vendors for instructions for: boiler, burglar alarm. Book sky or other tv provider as they often have 4 week wait, ring energy supplier to do the changeover, notify car insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now