Talk

Advanced search

Paint for window sill and wooden door step

(4 Posts)
Balsamicpearls Thu 02-Feb-17 14:39:24

I'm looking for recommendations for a good white/cream paint that will cope on a kitchen window sill beside a sink. I've tried several but they all end up peeling quickly. Also I need to paint my front door step white (the wooden threshold bit if that makes sense). I tried an oil based one but it chipped off really quickly. Any ideas please? Thank you

PigletJohn Thu 02-Feb-17 16:41:32

Is the windowsill wood, stone, or concrete?

For the doorstep, you might consider a brass or stainless protector. You may have seen them on older houses. Various shapes and lengths are available to suit your step.

www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?SearchText=door+step

Balsamicpearls Thu 02-Feb-17 19:22:32

Thank you. Will look into that option. The window sill is wooden

PigletJohn Thu 02-Feb-17 23:49:55

I think you mean on the inside, which we call a window board.

You will need to sand it down to a firm surface. That might be a previous paint, or it might be down to the wood. You can use a cork block with the sandpaper folded and wrapped round it. Rub along the board from end to end, not from side top side. Start with a medium grade.

I suspect the problem will be connected with damp. Do you think the board was wet with splashed or condensation? It must be fully dry before you try again.

Tell me more about the condition of the board, and the materials used. I would go for an oil-based primer, undercoat and gloss if there is any risk of water.

Look at the ends of the board. Are they sunk into plaster at the ends, or was it fitted into the recess?

When you sand it you might come across the heads of the fixing screws, which will be concealed under round patches of filler. This is relevant because it is sometimes easier to take out a board and replace it with new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now