Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Another kitchen thread. (Sorry)

(14 Posts)
Mezzanineobsessed Thu 02-Feb-17 14:09:57

in our newly purchased two bed flat, we need to install a new kitchen essentially as the old one is ancient and falling apart (except for the cabinet structures which are super solid).
In the last few months I have figured what I need in the kitchen, counter space- and storage-wise: I need
1. three/four wall cabinets,
2. four bottom cabinet/drawers (enough for my pans/plates/appliances)
3. a single bowl deep sink with a drainage area
4. Induction hob (we have gas) with four rings. A smallish standard oven that doesn't need to be right under the hob.
5. An integrated fridge/freezer and a washing machine that has a full dryer
6. Pull out kitchen counter space to max out on the occasion I am hosting small parties. Otherwise the counter space above the

Now the problem is I also want to put in a small eating station where I could also bake/cook with DCs (toddlers so messy elsewhere).
I am attaching the rough diagram of the dimensions and important things in there. Pls help me come up with some idea. I don't want to go to kitchen design experts with no idea at all.
Sorry if it's too ambitious. I am ready to sacrifice some space for the convenience of saving the mess in living room (dining table there which can be folded away and opened for guests only if kitchen is done as I want so family could eat there).
Thank you in advance smile

user1471549018 Thu 02-Feb-17 16:28:21

Could the kitchen door be moved to the lounge where the radiator currently is? Then you could have a galley kitchen starting at that wall (with one side half depth units) and a 4 seater table by the window, that would be used for baking, prepping and eating. Just my initial thought on maximising the kitchen space, may be wrong!

user1471549018 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:14:49

not sure if enough space around the hob/oven but it could look something like this...

user1471549018 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:44:08

Another option would be to keep the door and radiator where they are, and have a fold away table on the opposite wall to your units. Although not so great for baking with toddlers imo

languagelearner Thu 02-Feb-17 17:48:00

I think IKEA has a free kitchen planning software, it looks something like in those pictures.

user1471549018 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:50:34

Yes i'm on the ikea kitchen planner (with a poorly DC asleep on me and very bored!) Well worth having a play with the space smile

Mezzanineobssessed Fri 03-Feb-17 17:36:04

I have realised that my stupid phone has created this thread twice. blush
Those are lovely pics user.
I will now plan it on this tool. What do you think if I keep the galley kitchen look you have shown except that I change the door to a pocket door, move the radiator to under the window area with a small foldaway table/make a seating under the window that is tiny but enough for us? Would it be too expensive to move a boiler? On another thread I saw it must be roughly a £1000 itself but I think it could be worth it if I get the convenience?

user1471549018 Sat 04-Feb-17 09:20:38

Sounds lovely good luck with your planning!

meg54 Sat 04-Feb-17 09:40:02

Think carefully about the integrated fridge/freezer - you will lose a massive amount of chilling space if you opt for integrated rather than free standing.
Moving boiler will be messy (floors up etc) and expensive. Difficult to see from your pics, but you may not have room under NEW building regs to put a new boiler in the same place as the old one, clearance space for outside vent has changed recently.
Could you gain more space by moving the radiater further up the wall to allow more floor space?
Good luck with your project.

Svalberg Sat 04-Feb-17 09:46:08

Get rid of the radiator altogether & have kickboard heaters under the floor units?

50ShadesOfEarlGrey Sat 04-Feb-17 10:08:41

Would definitely agree with meg54 re integrated fridge and freezer. Very limited for space and really expensive to buy/replace. I would work on normal tall fridge freezer which would free under counter space for a dishwasher maybe? Also would never go back to a single bowl sink, would suggest 1.5. Pull out larders take huge amounts of stuff, in a really small footprint.
Hope you don't mind me sharing some other tips:
I found ikea to be fab for kitchen design, but they do fit differently so need to tell plumbers etc for allowing for pipes.
I dont know your budget, but B&q often have amazing value oven/hob packs. Kitchens that you buy through the trade are good units but do not buy their appliances. Tile shops on line have great deals and will send samples out quickly and cheaply.
Sorry, just realised this hasn't dealt with the kitchen design bit at all. Will have a look later and post again if I can come up with anything.

user1486209987 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:22:37

Any experience of buying an electric hob and oven from IKEA, or should that be bought separately?

YorkshireTea86 Sat 04-Feb-17 14:27:00

Agree about the integrated fridge freezer too, my sil had her kitchen done 2 years ago and has integrated fridge freezer, they have had to buy a separate undercover freezer to go under their breakfast bar because they never had enough room, 3 person family.

Mezzanineobssessed Sat 04-Feb-17 22:08:52

I am writing down all these points. Every single post here is teaching me a new thing. I didn't know the space is that big an issue with it regranted fridge freezers. And certianlyhad never thought of the kickboard heater though I now remember I once rented a place that had one.
Thank you so much
I have come up with some designs on ikea planner (I won't probably end up using ikea necessarily considering B&Q tip and the resin that ikea planner is estimating the cost already nearly the upper end of my budget shock I will try to upload them from my laptop and will ask your opinions on how you look at each of them. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now