Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Island perpendicular to kitchen units?

(19 Posts)
Stokey Thu 02-Feb-17 11:26:59

Hello - I'm trying to work out a design for a new big kitchen dinner but I can't find any photos on Houzz or Pinterest of what I am thinking of. I wonder whether it's cos it's a bonkers design or whether I'm just not putting the right search terms in.

So the new big room will be around 8m wide and 5-6m deep. It will have kitchen units and possibly sink or hob or both running along right-hand wall, glass doors out to garden along most of the 8m wall. Then we're thinking of having a long dining table parallel to the doors and behind that a kitchen island also parallel to the doors but at right angles to the units. We'd maybe put a hob on the island (read the other thread on this - need to think about pros and cons) and it would have a pantry behind it. The left-hand wall will have a window seat.

Does this sound odd? Has anyone seen any images with something similar?

wowfudge Thu 02-Feb-17 12:06:46

I think a wall of units and parallel island run of units will give you a much better functioning space.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 02-Feb-17 12:19:35

Like this? But then your dining table on the other side of the island?

Stokey Thu 02-Feb-17 12:32:07

Yes like that, thanks Namechanged

We've got up to 6m depth so could have pantry (which isn't in that 6m), 1m corridor, 2m wide island, 1m corridor, 1m (?) wide dining table & another 1m between the dining table & doors. Maybe that's a bit tight?

Twistmeandturnme Thu 02-Feb-17 12:38:49

That's a bit tight. It's not the width of the table, it's room to pull chairs out to sit and then still be able get round it that you need to consider.

mrsmortis Thu 02-Feb-17 12:39:07

A 2 meter wide island is really wide. Standard units are 60cm deep. If you go for 2 units back to back then you have a lot of storage, all of which you can actually reach (without climbing into the cupboard!) and enough room for that table.

I've been looking at kitchens and I was surprised by how wide 120cm really is.

3boys3dogshelp Thu 02-Feb-17 12:40:48

I agree with wow - I think you would end up feeling as though you were walking around the island all the time and 1m doesn't sound very wide to me if you think of opening cupboards/dishwasher etc. (Not an expert)

NomDePlumeReloaded Thu 02-Feb-17 12:43:04

1m doesn't feel that generous for chairs to be moved out etc. It might make a big room feel cramped.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 02-Feb-17 12:53:10

I wouldn't, I think its an awkward use of space for the kitchen (with island at right angles to units) and then too squashed to get dining table and island within 5/6m. If you have 8m width, what are you planning for the rest of the room?

Stokey Thu 02-Feb-17 12:58:27

I guess I like the idea of the dining table being parallel to the windows, so we can look out to the garden. The back is south so very sunny & one of the reasons for doing it is to open up the view to the garden. Also to connect to possible pantry.

But maybe we should just swing everything round? I've attached a vague plan - the room (which doesn't exist yet) is at the back/

namechangedtoday15 Thu 02-Feb-17 13:06:24

I think you can - how long is your table? I would move that a little bit further away from the kitchen units (so upwards in the plan), swing your island around 90 degrees so its parallel to the units, and for me personally, I would lose that little corner at the bottom right (absolutely hate corners in kitchens - doubt you'll actually lose much cupboard space as they're useless anyway - just my opinion smile!) and it will all look lovely and streamlined. Only slight issue is doorway nearest the kitchen (you'd need to consider that for placement of the island). Do you have 2 doors into kitchen?

Stokey Thu 02-Feb-17 13:12:46

We will have two doors into the kitchen. The one on the right hand side will lead from a utility room and coat & bootroom, I think we're going to install a second front door for every day use. And the one on the left hand side comes from the main entrance and living room.

Our current table is quite small so we'd buy a new one - probably 10-12 seater.

Titsywoo Thu 02-Feb-17 13:18:42

2m wide island?! Thats huge. Ours is 2m long and 1.2m wide and is a very good size. Also I have 1.2 metres between my island and other units etc and I think it is better to have more than a metre so a couple of people can pass easily. Personally I'd have the island parallel to the units and the table parallel to that. Where is your dishwasher and sink going? I've found it very useful to have my dishwasher and sink next to each other then the pan drawers with cutlery and plates etc are directly opposite in the island so unloading is quick and easy.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 02-Feb-17 13:59:36

I do agree with Titsywoo - our island is about 2.6m long I think by 1.2m wide - and I think its big. A bit personal but what do you want the island to do? If you have it 2m wide, there will be a vast swathe in the middle of it that no-one will ever be able to reach!

3boys3dogshelp Thu 02-Feb-17 14:32:10

Your plan looks spacious like that but why don't you try drawing it roughly to scale? The island will be double the width of either of the spaces next to it. If you're having a wide island is that so that you can put a breakfast bar on it? Where will the stools be? How long will it be? Do you need to walk around the ends of it to access the doors? Where will your dishwasher and cupboards for pots and pans be? Sounds like it will be a lovely room.

Stokey Thu 02-Feb-17 14:40:53

I think I got confused by the width, haven't really looked at islands so probably 1.2m (double 60) makes sense.

Yes to dishwasher and sink together. Probably in the right hand wall with hob on the island (or sink on island and hob on the wall). The island is wide to get either a hob or sink on and also stools. I guess pots would be stored in the island of the hob is there.

Going parallel makes more sense in using the width of the room. I was trying to connect the pantry to the cooking space by going perpendicular. Scale drawings is a good idea. The architect has done some but we're developing her ideas.

FrizzBombDelight Thu 02-Feb-17 14:56:41

Draw to scale any sketches you do, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes! When visualising things in your head it always looks perfect.

TheScarletSquid Thu 02-Feb-17 16:07:33

Try googling "dining table against kitchen island" - that brings up some ideas which might be what you're looking for. I've been looking at this idea too. This looks good to me (with a proper island) but we don't have the space unfortunately...
st.hzcdn.com/fimgs/cb215983008a1f63_0426-w500-h400-b0-p0--contemporary-dining-room.jpg

blackcountrygirl Thu 02-Feb-17 21:39:30

We're planning on doing something very similar to what's already been suggested - island, units and table all parallel to each other. I'm currently in love with the kitchen in this pic and trying to copy it as best as I can!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now