Talk

Advanced search

Abbey Wood, SE2

(19 Posts)
charhill22 Thu 02-Feb-17 09:53:55

I'm half way through buying a house in Abbey Wood, but the issue of smell from the sewage works has been raised in my solicitor's report.
Can anyone from the area please tell me whether this is an issue?
The idea of a having a summer bbq with that wafting over isn't ideal!

Mezzanineobsessed Thu 02-Feb-17 13:11:02

What do you mean by sewage smell? Is it an open sewage line near the house or what? Sorry but we did look at the area as we could buy a house there and ended up buying a flat elsewhere because Abbey Wood felt extremely grotty comparatively.
What is your feeling so far?

PossumInAPearTree Thu 02-Feb-17 13:37:18

I don't live in abbey wood and have no idea where the stw is but I have stayed numerous times at the caravan site in abbey wood do many evenings sat outside and never noticed a smell. Not sure where the site is in relation to the stw.

I also have a friend who lives next to a stw and says you soon stop noticing the smell!

Phantommanflinger Thu 02-Feb-17 13:41:12

It can be a bit stinky over the summer in certain areas mainly Sewell road and moving towards the far end of Eynsham drive towards Yarnton way and belvedere, but nothing too offensive and it's not constant.

charhill22 Thu 02-Feb-17 14:12:54

Phantommanflinger , I'm moving to Abbey Grove. Do you know if the smell is at certain times of the day? I.e. morning, midday, evening?

charhill22 Thu 02-Feb-17 14:17:05

Mezzanineobsessed, we started looking in Abbey Wood because of the pending crossrail. It will get us to work in the City in under 20 minutes. I looked, but couldn't find a 3 bed house within 20 minutes of the City for the same money anywhere else.

charhill22 Thu 02-Feb-17 14:18:22

PossumInAPearTree, I'm assuming you stayed at the caravan site during the summer?

PossumInAPearTree Thu 02-Feb-17 14:19:35

Yes, in the summer.

charhill22 Thu 02-Feb-17 14:19:46

I'm talking about the smell from the Crossness Sewage Treatment Works.

charhill22 Thu 02-Feb-17 14:21:58

PossumInAPearTree - Oh, well that's good news. The caravan site is a 10 minute walk from the house. Thank you.

Purpleprickles Thu 02-Feb-17 14:22:54

I've worked in nearby Thamesmead for many years. Occasionally you get a waft of sewage in the summer but it's not very often. I do a lot of work outside and it really is a waft not a smog of smell.

PossumInAPearTree Thu 02-Feb-17 14:23:52

Yes, have just looked on a map. To be honest it's probably less than a ten min walk...I can walk from the caravan to the train station in less than ten minutes. Will be a good commute for sure.

FatherPissmas Thu 02-Feb-17 14:28:09

I know Abbey Wood and, yes, it can smell pretty ripe. I wouldn't be able to bear it.

Why is the 20 minute journey so important? The train links in from most of that area is around 30-40 minutes into the City.

Phantommanflinger Thu 02-Feb-17 14:32:12

Personally not been to Abbeygrove but it's quite far from the sewage works so I should think it would be fine, have you spoken to the neighbours on your new road about it? Might be worth giving someone a knock.

charhill22 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:12:44

Phantommanflinger, I think that's a good idea. Might have to do a bit of door knocking at the weekend.

Purpleprickles, I appreciate the waft not a smog comment! I think the smog was what I was afraid of.

PossumInAPearTree, that's good to know. Thank you!

FatherPissmas - Which bits of Abbey Wood do you know? I think a short commute does wonders for a relationship. It's so nice to be able to get home quickly.

pinkdelight Thu 02-Feb-17 15:24:43

"I looked, but couldn't find a 3 bed house within 20 minutes of the City for the same money anywhere else."

That'll be because of the sewage smell. Sorry, not helpful, but if it's cheap there's always a reason. Hopefully it's bearable.

FatherPissmas Thu 02-Feb-17 15:26:50

I have a friend who lives in Greening Street opposite the little green, and I have lived near to the area all of my life.

YippieKayakOtherBuckets Thu 02-Feb-17 23:16:54

I used to work in Thamesmead. The smell wasn't 24/7 but it was noticeable most days, and particularly bad in the summer. There were days when it was pretty unbearable. We did get used to it but DH could occasionally smell it on my clothes and hair when I got home.

Just don't rely on being able to peg your washing out.

charhill22 Tue 13-Jun-17 12:15:14

Dear All,

You'll be pleased to know that I completed on the house back in April and have already had a BBQ in the heat without the slightest whiff!

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Charlotte

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now